turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quavers?

Started by bbcoach, April 11, 2018, 07:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

How many of you can explain what a quaver is and have used the call on turkeys?  I've got a good idea but there isn't much info explaining the call or when to use it on the web or you tube.  If you've used it, explain your method please.  I'm always trying to learn and increase my calling skills.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

outdoors

There's a topic about quaver at Oldgobbler. 
I was trying to copy , past. But not working
Wow I TRYED to post from the website about this topic but can't
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

silvestris

I would define the quaver as a soft usually three note warbling series.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Dtrkyman

I think it's a contentment call,  calm bird just chilling...I can't make it for sh—, frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

If you follow this link to an earlier thread and scroll down, there is a link to a video of Kenny Morgan doing a quaver on his frictionwood.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,60945.msg596795.html#msg596795

crow

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 11, 2018, 09:08:11 PM
If you follow this link to an earlier thread and scroll down, there is a link to a video of Kenny Morgan doing a quaver on his frictionwood.

very good video

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 11, 2018, 09:08:11 PM

Thank you for posting that...

So it would seem that a quaver is basically a slow series of purrs?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

quavers59

Just like Silvestris wrote. I make them on the very outer range of a Pot. Almost like 3 fairly fast purrs and not too loud. I watched Kenny Morgan's video over and over .  Get his book-- Turkey Hunting-- A One Man Game.    I use Quavers mostly as a finisher  and late Season. They work!!! That is my username here and on Gobbler Nation.

quavers59

I did have the Frictionwood as well and of course used the Quavers on it. Gave it as a gift to Jim Casada a few months back. Mine was signed by Kenny Morgan in 2000. On a Pot- just come out a1/4" from the edge of the pot and Purr 3 times fairly fast towards your body and not too loud. I use a LACEWOOD striker for this on a Double Slate or Gerald Bilodeau  Black Walnut friction caller.  Put on his Utube video and listen to the Black Walnut purrs. Quavers sound awesome on it!  So, if a Gobbler hangs up on me-- I use Quavers or Gobbler Yelps. If he is too close-- I use my natural voice and make Whit-Whits from the voice box in my neck. Luck out there.

Treerooster

I use the quaver quite a bit in my calling, good close in call. The quaver is a soft purr that changes tone and has a little whine in it. And like was said, it usually is done with 3 purrs in succession with a slight delay between the 1st & 2nd purr. Purrr..purrpurr.

It can be done on a pot call but I like the Frictionwood call. Prefer a Frictionwood to a pot call as I think it does more realistic sounding purrs and better soft calling. I can yelp, jake yelp, purr, cutt, cluck, fight purr and of course quaver on my Frictionwood. By moving the striker around to different parts of the little box I can get several tones on it. There are several turkeys in that little call. The only disadvantage of a Frictionwood is I can't get real loud on it like a glass or crystal.

I have 2 Kenny Morgan Frictionwoods that I used quite extensively in my turkey hunting. Don't use them now as I think they may be worth something and are collector items. Another guy is making the Frictionwood and I think his are a touch better. Sounds the same but the Frictionwood can be a bit fussy on what striker sounds good with it and weather can affect the sound as it is all wood. Scott Hembrook of Willow Ridge Calls makes them out of a couple different types of wood. His are not as fussy on the striker but they still need to be matched to a specific striker. I use Maple and Black Limba strikers a lot. They don't seem to be quite as affected by the weather either. Haven't talked to Scott for a few months but he is probably still around. He goes by WillowRidgeCalls on here.

quavers59

TreeRooster-- not good with links- but put in -- Handmade Turkey Calls at-- VillagesoupWaldo. 8.21 minutes. Quavers Sou d Awesome on Maine callmaker- Gerald Bilodeau  Black Walnut caller. I believe it is called a Vibrating  tongue caller. Awesome purrs and Quavers on it.   Let me know what you think if you check the video out. This post has me practicing!! Purr--PurrPurr. I like to form (J's) on that caller.

silvestris

That caller is a spin-off of George Huffman's Vibrating Tongue.  Kenny Morgan used one occasionally in the late 70s/early 80s.  I still will use one.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game