turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My ms season pt 3 (in the books)

Started by BB30, April 11, 2018, 04:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

I finished my ms season this morning with #3. A bird I have been hunting the last 2 days before work finally made the mistake of roosting in the same spot one too many days in a row.

I first heard this bird Saturday about 300 yds from where I started and by the time I was able to course him he had gotten off the property I had permission to hunt. I let him be Monday and went back on Tuesday morning.

This gobber was roosting over a railroad track with a slough in front and and a bottom that made a Y. The first morning (yesterday) He pitched down on the other side of the Y and skirted me at about 65 yds he would answer me but the bottom was too open and he'd hang up. Instead of pushing it I backed out and planned on getting in tighter in the morning.

This morning I got in and sat down at 5:30 where he was strutting yesterday. Sure enough he is in the same spot and Red hot. He pitched down on my side at around 70 yds and started towards me. As he was working near gun range a hen pitched out that couldn't have been roosted 30 yds from my tree and slowed him down. He strutted and bred her. As she was being bred 4 more hens came up from behind me right to him and he locked up with them. I enjoyed the show getting to watch him breed a hen and strut for close to an hour only 55-60 yds away. Finally The hens started moving back towards me bringing him right in to 30 yds where I decided to take the shot. It was another beautiful morning and a great season.

I have a trip planned to go to Tennessee and am looking forward to that/tagging along with a few friends that still have a couple birds left here in ms. Crazy how fast the season goes by and then it's back to waiting for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

TauntoHawk

Stellar hunt

I love figuring out their morning routine and getting in tight

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3bailey3

Congrats on the great season, what part of the state you hunt, I am hunting Madison and Rankin co.

dublelung

Congrats on your limit! I love being able to watch them for awhile but dang it's tough on the heart lol.

Waynesworld23

To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

BB30

Quote from: 3bailey3 on April 11, 2018, 05:42:25 PM
Congrats on the great season, what part of the state you hunt, I am hunting Madison and Rankin co.

I live in Columbus ms hunt in the surrounding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tnwoodsman

hobbes

Awesome hunt! Congrats on a great season.

We dont have anything even remotely close to that green here.  Maybe we'll see a few green buds by May.

maddog3355

Congratulations. Awesome pictures.

shoer2

Tail Feathers

Sounds like a great hunt!  Congratulations.
The bittersweet tag out hunt...yes you got them all filled but now the season is done.

Good luck in TN tho!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk