turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First time in TX, wont be the last

Started by misfire, April 11, 2018, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

There are certain perks you get as a callmaker. For me, the most enjoyable is the success stories and getting to meet some really good people. Another is, sometimes that customer turns out to have some great land and offers a hunt. My son and I flew from GA to TX last Thursday to hunt some Rio's and hopefully get my son his first Rio and get him going on a slam. We arrived at the ranch and Don wasted no time rushing us to get changed and ready to hunt. It was late afternoon and he took us to his first spot. Mitchell had a 40yd shot that evening, but decided to hold off. The bird pitched up to roost right there so we knew we had a chance in the morning. We get to the spot the next morning, Don blew an owl call and the bird answered, that was his last gobble. Five hens pitched down and I gave some light yelps on a trumpet and they started making their way up the hill to us, then the gobbler pitched and went directly into strut and began following the ladies. When he saw the decoys, he turned straight to us and I knew this bird had made a fatal mistake. He came to 10yds and whooped the decoy, stood on top as if to say "Ha, I win!", then Mitchell let the hammer down and his first Rio was in the book. Shot him off the decoy! Man was there some excitement going on then. Bird had 1.25 spurs and a 10" beard. I was fortunate to get this entire hunt on video. We went and had breakfast and then later that afternoon set up in another area. We had only been there around 5 minutes and I was showing Don how I run a friction call, he was using one of my slates and I was using a copper. All of a sudden, a bird gobbled behind us and was close. I was to be the shooter so Mitchell had the video camera. I cut hard on that copper and he cut me off. Mitchell then told me there was 2 birds. I told him to pass the camera to Don and lets try to double. The birds came from our right, and man what a show! Strutting, drumming that was so loud even I could hear it, and some thunderous gobbles. I see one, then the second is strutting for all he was worth, then a THIRD came around behind and started a train of white tipped Rio's coming to the gun. I counted down from 3-2-1 and then boom! Perfect, it sounded as one shot and 2 birds were down. Well, the third made a mistake as he should have flown off and didn't, so I pumped another round in the 870 and that bird was soon flopping just behind his buddies. So surreal! Now the two of us have taken 2 birds each, and to make it even better, this was Mitchell's 25th birthday. We got some great photos and then returned to camp to clean the birds. This is where I screwed up. The strutter I shot had the most amazing colors of any bird I had ever seen. I knew I should have mounted him, but I went ahead and processed him. I kick myself daily since that evening and will for a long time to come. The next day was uneventful as the weather turned sour. The following day was what Rio hunting is all about. I bet we heard 20 birds that morning. Don told me to stop screwing around and just run that copper call so we could go eat breakfast. So I grabbed the copper and soon two birds came in through the mesquite. Mitchell had the strutter at 35yds, and I knew I was pushing it on the second bird, but thought I could pull it off. I couldn't, but Mitchell did! Bird #5 was on the ground.
I have always heard that the people of Texas were friendly and great hosts, but the hospitality that Don extended to my son and I was much more than I could ever repay. Maybe this post might cause him so embarrassment, its not meant to be, but brother, you provided some fantastic memories for a father and son that neither of us will ever forget. Thank you brother.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

misfire

Here is the bird with the color. I think his mother was a peacock
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

blake_08

Beautiful bird!! you should at least cape him out. congratulations

stinkpickle

Sixes

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Double B

Followed by buzzards

CDNduckslayer

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!! Congrats to the both of you!

3bailey3

ElkTurkMan

Lee congrats on an awesome trip !!!!

Cut N Run

Congratulations Lee!  Those are some beautiful birds.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

dutch@fx4

Fantastic that's what I love about the hunting community you get to meet great people

SteelerFan