OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coldest turkey hunt I've experienced

Started by SD_smith, April 10, 2018, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

Went out for the archery opener this past weekend in South Dakota. Woke up at 3 AM to the temperature at 0F. Got to the blind at 5:15 and it was only up to 5F. Its always seemed crazy to me how these birds are used to the cold weather out here compared to my native Florida birds. Was able to get video of a gobbler breed 4 hens at about 100 yards. The flock on that farm is in the size range of 300ish birds so the chain gobbling in a roost only 100 or less yards long was insane! Lots of strutters accompanied with small bar fights here and there. Made for a fun morning of watching some good yodeling and strutting. Went back out in the afternoon and was able to use a chest-deep dry ditch and a fan to get within 40 yards of a big group of 100 birds then one of the strutters came to hangout with me at 15 yards and was able to pull off my first archery kill! I am a new archery hunter and have only been using the stick-n-string for maybe 3 years. With this being my first attempt at turkey hunting with a bow.

Will try to upload some pictures if I can figure it out on my phone. Keeps telling me files too large.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

TJK68

Daveb

Sounds like a great hunt, albeit cold. Congratulations!

joey46

Congrats!  Try clicking on the attachment as an e mail and see if you get a size reduction option.  I fight with picture posting all the time.Good luck. 5 degrees! No thank you :o

wade

Way to go! I sure hope it warms up before I get there. Try emailing the picture to yourself, should give you resizing options. When I try to post pictures directly from my iPhone they are always sideways. Have to get them on my computer and then flip, then post.
Do it outdoors

Improvinghunter101

Congratulations!  I'm going to try archery hunting turkeys for the first time this year.  I have been bow hunting deer for 8 years now so I want to give turkeys a whirl.

taylorjones20

Congrats!  One of these days I'm going to try it with the bow...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Happy hooker

I'm one state over in Minnesota,,it has been a very cold spring even for here.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Caspar

congrats! you definitely earned that gobbler. 

Gamblinman

0°   Blind and heater or I ain't going. It was 36° in Texas yesterday morning and I had a heater cranked in the blind.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, Fred Bear would be proud.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SD_smith

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 11, 2018, 03:45:57 PM
0°   Blind and heater or I ain't going. It was 36° in Texas yesterday morning and I had a heater cranked in the blind.

Its one heck of a good investment after that experience!

tomstopper

Congrats.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk