turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Montana Decoys?

Started by Grey Owl, April 10, 2018, 08:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

Have any of you used the Montana Perfect Jake or Ms Perfect decoys? If so, what's your opinion. I was looking for something light and compact to carry in the mountains. Thanks.

RS

I used a hen and jake some last year. Thy're not the greatest looking decoys, but they're easy to carry.  Using them and some soft calling I was able to lure the last gobbler I killed across a property line and away from a flock of about 12. 

coyote1

They work. As said they don't look like a dsd but good enough to fool birds into shooting range. (Got this idea from someone on here) and hot glued real tail feathers on the jake, that added a lot of realism in my opinion. They definitely can not be beat for packing in the mountains.

Gobble!

ugly but they are light. seems like most who use them say they work like any other decoy.

Grey Owl

Tennessee Lead

I'm not a decoy guy but I purchased the  Purrfect Pair on a smoking deal and I carried them on my only hunt so far this year.
The woods are still wide open and I decided I would give them a shot.
I called up a midday turkey and had them out since I had set up and started blind calling when he responded.
When he popped into site of the decoy he stopped his approach he strutted and drummed at them and dropped back into the woods which was only 20 yards away and drummed.
In the few times I've tried a decoy (less than 5 total) of any kind in the woods I've had almost identical experiences.
Seems the Tom's try and skirt around them.
I was able to call him back out of the woods and he locked in on the Jake and I killed him when he walked in front of my barrel at 14 yards as he was approaching from behind me on a logging road I was setting on.
The decoys are very compact but a little heavier than I expected.
The feather cuts and color of the hen are very realistic and looks extremely good from a distance.
I'll try them again at some point if I ever pick up a field to hunt. In my limited experience with decoys in the woods they do more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Owl

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on April 10, 2018, 07:16:54 PM
I'm not a decoy guy but I purchased the  Purrfect Pair on a smoking deal and I carried them on my only hunt so far this year.
The woods are still wide open and I decided I would give them a shot.
I called up a midday turkey and had them out since I had set up and started blind calling when he responded.
When he popped into site of the decoy he stopped his approach he strutted and drummed at them and dropped back into the woods which was only 20 yards away and drummed.
In the few times I've tried a decoy (less than 5 total) of any kind in the woods I've had almost identical experiences.
Seems the Tom's try and skirt around them.
I was able to call him back out of the woods and he locked in on the Jake and I killed him when he walked in front of my barrel at 14 yards as he was approaching from behind me on a logging road I was setting on.
The decoys are very compact but a little heavier than I expected.
The feather cuts and color of the hen are very realistic and looks extremely good from a distance.
I'll try them again at some point if I ever pick up a field to hunt. In my limited experience with decoys in the woods they do more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. I don't use them much either but have a particular use for these.

countryboy3006

I have a pair and they work as good as any other decoy besides DSD, avian X, etc.  I like that they are compact when folded up.  I like to carry them when I am on a hunt where I may or may not use a decoy depending on where I find a bird.