OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who's my new best friend...?

Started by WNCTracker, April 09, 2018, 10:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

23 lbs of fire roasted jalepeno cheddar turkey bratwurst in the freezer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyduke

With those brats, I'll be your best friend. Umm!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

spaightlabs

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Awesome!  Those look fantastic.  Would love to get the recipe.  We were just talking about getting out the sausage stuffer.

WNCTracker

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 09, 2018, 10:10:36 PM
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Happy to share anytime!
These are my venison recipe but are actually better with wild turkey instead of venison, and bone in skin on chicken thighs instead of Boston butt. It's a recipe I made out of multiple ones that I've tried and it is OUTSTANDING. enjoy!
These are mild spice so my kids will eat them. I have made them spicier by using crushed red pepper in the spice mix. Easier to control heat rather than leaving the jalepeno raw which I've done as well. I think the flavor of the roasted pepper puts it over the top.

spaightlabs

Love that these are uncured!   Looks like great recipe. Thank you very much.

WNCTracker

Yeah me too. My favorite way to cook them is at 200-225 deg in the smoker. Curing and smoking low and slow seems to overpower the flavor of the peppers and cheddar

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

dublelung

Man that looks fine! I've never tried anything like that but sure wouldn't mind it.

spaightlabs

Quote from: dublelung on April 10, 2018, 07:41:23 AM
Man that looks fine! I've never tried anything like that but sure wouldn't mind it.

If you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, you have a sausage grinder and stuffer if you purchase a couple of pretty inexpensive attachments...while not as efficient for a large scale operation like WNCTracker's sausage-palooza, it works great for smaller batches.

Twowithone

Those are some awesome looking Brats for sure.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

1iagobblergetter

Looks great. I bet  your little girl had fun helping..

WNCTracker

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 10, 2018, 09:12:28 AM
Quote from: dublelung on April 10, 2018, 07:41:23 AM

If you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, you have a sausage grinder and stuffer if you purchase a couple of pretty inexpensive attachments...while not as efficient for a large scale operation like WNCTracker's sausage-palooza, it works great for smaller batches.

That was how I started too, with the KA stand attachments.  The grinder works pretty well as long as you keep the meat nearly frozen, otherwise it seems to mush the meat instead of grinding and same was true for the sausage stuffer attachment...if the meat had started forming ice crystals it stuffs much better, otherwise you'll plunge and plunge to get that meat slurry into casings.  IMO you'd be fine with small batch grinding in the KA, but I'd spring for a dedicated sausage stuffer from northern tool, not too expensive...has plastic gears but it's going to last fine unless you are too rough on it.  Trying to stuff sausage with the auger seemed to just put a lot of air into the links and take too long for my patience level  :)  I've also used a jerky gun to stuff some links but it only does a pound at a time but then you have a jerky gun/stuffer for small batches of sausage and making jerky so nothing lost in your investment until you decide it's worth it to upgrade your equipment.

****Also, I just looked at the picture I posted and it is 2.5 lbs turkey/deer, 2.5 lbs of Chicken/pork for a total of 5 lbs....it sort of looks like 25 lbs in the picture

WNCTracker

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 10, 2018, 09:23:47 AM
Looks great. I bet  your little girl had fun helping..

She is my buddy when it comes to butchering and sausage making...my boys could take it or leave it