OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Purring Tom

Started by WNCTracker, April 09, 2018, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I got to hear a Tom purr for the first time.  There were 4 Toms together and one of them purred about 5 times.  How common is this?

eggshell

Pretty common. Try it on a hung up bird sometime preceded by a hard gobbler cluck. It may break them thinking a gobbler has moved in on his hen. It needs to be a hard challenging purr. You hear it in fall gobblers a lot.

Rzrbac

I've found it's not uncommon but their purrs are much softer than a hen. You have to be really close to hear them and most folks (including myself) will have them flopping before they get that close.

WNCTracker

Bingo!  I'm not sure why I've never heard that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Common if you run decoys to hear them doing that when they approach in that 3/4 strut walk with their heads tilted. Generally it's a sound that once you can hear it they are well within gun range

It's kind of like when you have a hen come feed around you and you realize she's almost always making little noises it's just so quiet you don't hear it unless they are right in front of you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>