turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Couple Merriam's... and a Rio (added)

Started by CAPTJJ, April 06, 2018, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTJJ

Hunting public land in western NE with my recurve, starting my next grand slam, this time without a blind. Weather was up and down, woke up to snow several mornings and the temp to start each morning I got a tom was 22F. 

3/30, 8:15am, 7 toms came in gobbling from above and most skirted just behind my jake decoy... except the last one which gave me a 7yd shot. 18lbs, 8 1/4" beard, 3/4" spurs

4/5, 7am, the large flock of about 30 started going by above, made a couple calls, heard purrs and one tom came running down the hill, went into strut and turned so I could raise the bow. As he thumped my jake and knocked it over another tom had come down and was strutting up to the downed jake, giving me an 8yd uphill shot. 22lbs, 8" beard, 3/4" spurs.

jmart241

hobbes

Awesome! Congrats on two nice birds with the recurve. 

Sixes

Beauties!  I'm gonna have to make a trip for those one year

Sir-diealot

Congratulations. Very pretty turkey. What bow did you use? I have an old Ben Pearson Cougar that I am going to start shooting as soon as my shoulders allow and want to end up with a Bear Grizzly for my first time out hunting anything. Fred was there when I took my first archery deer with a Whitetail II and I want him there when I take my first traditional deer or turkey. Love his books.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CAPTJJ

Thanks all. The bow is a 45# Howatt Mamba made by Martin, that is the tenth bird with it; use a 460 grain arrow total, with a 150 Snuffer up front. Have a few Bear recurves from the 60s, may hunt with one at some point.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: CAPTJJ on April 06, 2018, 07:18:48 PM
Thanks all. The bow is a 45# Howatt Mamba made by Martin, that is the tenth bird with it; use a 460 grain arrow total, with a 150 Snuffer up front. Have a few Bear recurves from the 60s, may hunt with one at some point.
Thanks. You should hunt with them for sure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

suburbhunter

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!   Mucho congrats !!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

arrow1

Recurve makes it extra special. Well done!! Congratulations.

joey46

Great story and pics.  Congrats!

Spurs Up

:theman:  That's quite an accomplishment. And, here I am, obsessed with numbers of pellets in a circle. I think there's a lesson in perspective somewhere here. Congrats!

High plains drifter

Well done!I'm going to try for a hardwoods Mariu.m in montana with my pse.I had a shot last year, but missed at 30 yards.

Rio Fan

Tnwoodsman

Quote from: Spurs Up on April 06, 2018, 08:54:01 PM
:theman:  That's quite an accomplishment. And, here I am, obsessed with numbers of pellets in a circle. I think there's a lesson in perspective somewhere here. Congrats!

Agreed