turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling in a coyote

Started by High plains drifter, April 06, 2018, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Several times while turkey hunting, I have called in coyotes real close.I have not shot any, I don't hunt big game.Shooting a coyote will ruin my hunt, but they kill a lot of turkeys.

Tom Foolery

I shoot every one I get a chance at.  Shooting a coyote will not ruin your hunt.  I've killed coyotes and shot deer or turkey right after.

1iagobblergetter

hotspur

I have called in a few, once with a crow call. I shoot them.

zelmo1

Lonehowl

You shoot them...and you shoot them in the face, with a shotgun. They are not "big game", they are varmints.
Mark

gtrjames

There's no telling how many turkeys a coyote will kill in his lifetime....I shoot everyone I can.

land cruiser

Eliminate competition at every opportunity. I bring electronic callers for after the hunt to create opportunities :)

stinkpickle

Special note to anyone hunting in Missouri:   It's now legal to shoot coyotes during turkey season; however, it must be with a method allowed for taking turkeys, AND you must have an UNFILLED turkey tag AND a small game license (which isn't normally required for turkey).

Bowguy

Nothing ruins a hunt better than the bird you're after living in a coyotes gut. Couple years ago I was hunting a farm that was logged. Lots of tree tops on the ground. So these birds are coming pretty as can be. They just gotta clear one more top and I'll shoot the biggest one.
Getting ready when they start alarm putting. A blondish coyote comes in. Stalled the birds and he was between us standing on a downed trunk w his front legs. He took one for the team. When I shot him he yelped a couple times and the birds gobbled at each one. They didn't spook from the shot or the now dead coyote. They did however walk back the way they came. Don't spook the birds by jumping up. Shots commonly don't scare em.
Those birds came in the next time I was there. It's only one story of a bunch. I'm sure everyone has em. Shoot next time

taylorjones20

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 06, 2018, 09:57:09 AM
Several times while turkey hunting, I have called in coyotes real close.I have not shot any, I don't hunt big game.Shooting a coyote will ruin my hunt, but they kill a lot of turkeys.

Turkey are considered "big game" in TN...

But I think I know what you meant... 

Anyway, shoot all the yotes you can!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Lonehowl

I thought of that after I posted, they are considered  big game in a couple states, which is silly. But if it is legal to shoot them while turkey hunting...heck yes.
Mark

deerpoo22

I'd pass up a gobbler any day to get a crack at a coyote

High plains drifter

Quote from: Lonehowl on April 06, 2018, 10:52:02 AM
You shoot them...and you shoot them in the face, with a shotgun. They are not "big game", they are varmints.
Mark
I'm not going to shoot anything in the face.I shoot turkey in the neck.

TauntoHawk

Most years I call a few in, shoot ones where it makes sense like if I'm set up on rooted birds and yote rolls through not shooting and blowing birds out of the tree. Call In a coyote and no turkey in sight... bang

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>