OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

baiting question

Started by saltysenior, April 05, 2018, 09:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

when a person releases crickets in an area, would that be considered baiting ???

TauntoHawk

That's certainly a new one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy

In my opinion if food is placed in an area with the intent of attracting animals then it is baiting. But that's just my opinion. Only your local regs can give you the straight answer.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Rzrbac

I think you would be safe on that one ;D

greencop01

As a retired warden I can answer this way. Anything you put out such as seed, grain, corn, is baiting.  Technically, releasing crickets would be baiting, but the evidence disappears shortly after you release them. This would be a 'baited question.' According to the law baiting would give an unfair advantage to the hunter. Also with baited turkeys you can set your watch to when they come to a bait site. As wary as they are, they are extremely susceptible to bait. In the old days (black powder) they would dig a shallow trench 30 feet or longer, fill it with corn or grain, and sit at one end. When enough turkeys started feeding one man could kill 20 or more birds with one shot when they had their heads down in the trench. Even Tom Kelly turns up his nose at hunting turkeys in chufa patches, even though it is legal. As I'm retired I only inform the local warden when I find a bait pile during turkey season, the rest is up to him. As responsible hunters we should report baiting to the local warden. This cheating is of the highest order when it comes to turkey hunting.

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

redjones

My Uncle who was a WW2 vet,he past away a few years ago used to pop big bags of popcorn and leave trails of popcorn around the area he hunted.
This was back in the 70's in SW Virginia,I was still a pretty young man back then and never thought much of it but the Turkeys loved it,he would also throw out apples in the same area for Deer.
He never killed more than one Turkey or one Deer in the fall just for winter meat,but wasn't to worried about baiting,doubt if would have even understood what it was if you told him he couldn't do that.
I bet Popcorn would be a whole lot cheaper than Crickets,just saying ;) ;) ;)

Greg
Semper Fi

fallhnt

Crotch crickets or crickets of the Gryllidae family?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dirt road ninja

I chum live bait for fish and it works great, but I don't think it would be the way to go on turkeys.

saltysenior

Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 05, 2018, 10:19:50 PM
I chum live bait for fish and it works great, but I don't think it would be the way to go on turkeys.

believe me, it is used ......some folks have done this for  years, but I don't how successful it is to hunting, but they continue to do it..

Ozarks Hillbilly

"planting a food plot is simply baiting six months in advance" Tom Kelly

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

maddog3355

I was watching a hunting show the other day and they took a brush hog to a standing corn field, said they were getting ready for turkey season. I would say that would have a bigger draw than 10 million crickets!!

mtns2hunt

Wonder how many crickets are needed for one turkey?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

dutch@fx4

Snails would make a better bait they don't get away as fast and turkeys love them.lol

BB30

In ms you have to make an attempt to harvest can't just clip it. That is certainly one way to keep them around ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 05, 2018, 09:12:09 PM
That's certainly a new one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Used to be a guy on these forums several years ago who claimed to be quite the turkey slayer.  He also claimed he would get crickets and tear their legs off and put in food plots.   I figure the ants ate pretty good.   Another funny thing about his yearly pictures was the fact you could see him age about 15 years from some picture to others ::)
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff