OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How the birds gobbling in central Georgia?

Started by Old Gobbler, April 03, 2018, 03:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Thinking of heading up to hunt some private property around late April and hoping the birds are warmed up by then ...it's been a cold lately--Thanks --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

larry9988

Gobbling in southwest Georgia has been very sporadic but seems to be getting better. They gobble their heads off one morning then may be quiet for the next three. Darn old turkeys..... that's all.

gergg

Not sure where "middle" is Shannon, but up in North Georgia/mountains they are closed mouth right now. By mid April they are usually pretty active.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Old Gobbler

Quote from: gergg on April 03, 2018, 07:39:12 PM
Not sure where "middle" is Shannon, but up in North Georgia/mountains they are closed mouth right now. By mid April they are usually pretty active.
Right outside Americus

I haven't hunted up that area in 20 years but I remember they gobbled sporadically,  but  the birds didn't get fired up good and plenty till after mid April

These nor-easters even had birds in southern florida clammed up in areas
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

howl

Americus is Southwest. I'd say you remember correctly and that the birds do the same thing every year.

Sixes

So far they are just being stubborn turkeys. Some morning they will gobble all morning and some mornings you would think there were no birds for miles.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Sixes on April 04, 2018, 11:43:46 AM
So far they are just being stubborn turkeys. Some morning they will gobble all morning and some mornings you would think there were no birds for miles.

This.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Deast1988

I've hunted 6 mornings have heard great gobbling once. Opening morning. Haven't been shutout yet, have heard hens every morning have heard at least one gobble every morning hunt. I've been 4 afternoons total silence no hens at all. I did see 2 strutters running with a Hen in plot way off. But calling in the afternoons has been the usual totally mute. I've been Hunting, Jasper and Putnam Counties.