OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2018 season  (Read 2320 times)

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
2018 season
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
Finished out my last tag Saturday with my 7 yr old son.

Season started out great on youth day. It was my boys first turkey hunt and we were covered in birds. He didn't kill one but he had a blast. He heard more gobbling that day than some hear in a season. He had a chance to kill one but the bird spooked right before he had a clear shot.

I hunted 7 out of the first 11 mornings of the season and worked birds 6 of those 7 mornings.

First kill was on day 2. Short hunt. Bird landed 20 yds in front of me and he died.

Second bird too a little longer. He landed and couldn't resist the Mann Made paddle. 15 mins on the ground and he was dead.

Third bird was supposed to be my 7 yr olds. We were covered in birds again. Heard 3-5 toms Saturday morning plus some jakes. Hunted one for a good hour before he and some jakes skirted by us too far for little man to shoot. Found one of the other birds that we heard off in the distance and setup on him. 10 mins later he was 60 yds out but wouldn't close the distance. He eased off and I hit him hard with loud cutts and yelps and he came right back to 30 yds. Little man was a wreck. He finally told me he didn't want to shoot and for me to kill him. Bird turned his back to us which gave me a chance to get my gun up. Absolute blast having my son hunting with me. Having him sitting in my lap and listening to him about to hyperventilate when he sees birds coming is awesome. Just a matter of time before he lays one out.

Had no plans to travel this year and hunt due to some changes going on at work right now.  But may try and get over to GA or up to NC if I can get away for a few days.

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
Re: 2018 season
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
Another great bird, congrats. If you don't travel you have the rest of the season to get one with your son, that would be great?

Where are the videos? I always liked them when you posted them.

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
Sorry. No videos.  Camera messed up on me last year and I need my tail kicked for not having it fixed already or for not buying a new one already.  Hopefully we will be filming again next year.

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
Congrats! last bird has some very cool wing coloration. Pretty one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »
awesome!! Congratulations