OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Awesome ms hunt with a good turkey hunting buddy.

Started by BB30, March 31, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

I have been very fortunate this year. I have killed two and called in 3 others for friends.

The hunt I had Friday morning ranks near the top thanks to a loud mouthed two year old. We got on some good gobbling turkeys off in some public land around Starkville. My buddy ended up shooting this bird at 15 steps.

I have often watched field turkeys at 70 yds strut and gobble but this bird answered about 150 yds from us the next time he gobbled he was at 80 yards and closing. He came off a ridge into a hardwood bottom and got to 50 yds where he hung up for about 30 minutes. We got to watch him strut and gobble over 70 times inside of 60 yds. I hadn't said anything since he gobbled about 150 out. After about 20 minutes of watching the show he put on he blew into strut and spun looking away from us once he did that I clicked lightly over my right shoulder and he came out of strut and gobbled 4-5 times coming the last 35 yds where my friend harvested him. I have never gotten to watch one that long that close in a hardwood bottom like that these birds are truly special.

I'm not opposed to anyone shooting them at 45-50 yds and have before but last year we decided that we wouldn't shoot until they were inside 35-40 and I'm glad we did. What I got to watch Friday morning was by far one of the coolest things I have ever seen in the turkey woods. Having one blow your hat off at 25-30 yards is almost unbeatable.

Pics to come

Thank the Lord for allowing us to hunt these amazing animals because we sure don't deserve it.

1iagobblergetter

Congrats....All you guys pummeling all these Gobblers today is almost unbearable...C'mon season opener!!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

kyturkeyhunter4

zelmo1

BB30

BB30

shoer2

3bailey3

BB30

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 31, 2018, 09:31:32 PM
nice, congrats what call is that?
Daniel jones custom calls. He is a gentleman that makes calls in forest Mississippi. He makes a great call that looks good, sounds good and is reasonable on the wallet. Check him out on Facebook if ya get a chance. Can't go wrong with his calls.

I have one of his aluminum calls and a slate over slate both are great sounding calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddturkeyhunter

mtns2hunt

Nice, I too used to blast them as soon as possible. Still do in the woods but in the field I really like to see them strut their stuff.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CtRider

Awesome. Love how many members here truly appreciate the interaction with these animals. Congrats

POk3s

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."