OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two down in Kentucky!

Started by woodchip, April 20, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

I had one heck of a season this year I killed my two best birds!  I got up early Monday morning and drove to my best and favorite hunting spot and hit the woods before daylight.  There really wasn't much gobbling at daylight except on the neighbors property but got lucky and one of the birds must have been roosted alone and lonely because he jumped through hoops to come and get shot.  I was about 100 yds off the line and watched him come around the base of a hill across a nice green cow pasture half strutting and gobbling the whole way.  but he stayed in the field and headed towards the road.  I thought he was leaving because he stopped gobbling for awhile, but the next time he did he had cut the distance and was in the pasture on our property.  I snuck up to the field and stuck a decoy out and all I could find to lean on was an old rotten stump.  He hammered several times just over the rise of the hill about 50yds away and I thought he was never going to show himself but he finally came close enough to see the decoy and started strutting at 30 yds.  I watched him for a bit and then gave him a load of 3.5/2.25/7s at 30yds.

My second bird came off of some hard hunted public land and I am really proud of him.   A buddy and I hit my usual spots on my private ground and called in a group of jakes but passed.  We hung around for awhile and never heard anything and decided to go to the public ground it was 11:00 when we pulled in.  I wasn't too excited about hunting it and almost passed because it was REALLY windy (25mph +) but hey I took a vacation to hunt!!  It looked like everyone else gave up and went home.  We took off along a power line since it was fairly thick and we figured fewer people had traveled and called from there.  The power line also borders a nice hardwoods.  We walked a long way and heard nothing, and eventually came to some fields and were walking the edge.  We stopped to take a break when BARELY heard a gobble back the way we just came.  We went back a few yards and got out my tube it took a couple times but he finally started answering it.  We slipped into the woods about 30 yds closer and setup.  I took about 30 minutes but he finally showed up and I hammered him at 40yds.  He might have come closer but I didn't want to take a chance on public land.  Had we went another 50 yds I doubt we would have ever heard that bird gobble.  He was dead at straight up noon.

The private land bird(first two pics) had a 9.5 inch beard and a 1 1/8 inch spur the other was broken off.  The public land bird had a 10 inch beard and both spurs were 1 1/8 inch.  I didn't have scales so I don't know the weights.  Great season it just ended too quick!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Turkeyfan

Basser69

Congrats on two nice birds!  :z-guntootsmiley:

bayou gobbler

Congrats!!! very nice birds!!

bowhunter84

Roost Wrecker

Congrats ive got one down looking for the second. Its been hard hunting here in Ky

Hognutz

Congrats on the successful hunt. Very nice, indeed..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

spitndrum

Ol'Mossy

barry

That's 2 goodun's right there

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

OLE RASPY

harvester

congrats on two very fine birds.

cannonball

dawgfrombama