News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for the Permethrin!

Started by bbcoach, March 29, 2018, 08:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: bbcoach on April 15, 2018, 08:09:37 PM
Gentlemen here's my take on this treatment.  Permethrin is a chemical that treats dogs for fleas and ticks.  It is also a treatment for scabies, as JoeYoung can attest at a 5% concentration.  We are using this at a .5% concentration to keep ticks from crawling on our clothes and imbedding into our skin.  Tick borne illnesses aren't anything to ignore.  These illnesses carry long term effects even if you respond to the antibiotics.  Only you can except or reject this treatment but I believe the rewards far outweigh any risk associated with low concentrations of permethrin.

No doubt!  Permethrine decomposes basically into water as it's metabolized in the subcutaneous fat layer and flushed out in your urine. It really isn't THAT effective on dogs either as it really does tend to metabolize fast and dog treatment uses an oil base to keep it on the skin longer than its half life.   It IS LETHAL TO FISH so DO NOT dispose on any excess in creeks that might have fish or run into a body of water that does.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Twowithone

So is this a good mixture at 10%.1 ounce per 16 oz of water or if you wanted more juice you could use 8 oz. to a gallon of water.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

bbcoach

Quote from: Twowithone on April 16, 2018, 06:49:53 PM
So is this a good mixture at 10%.1 ounce per 16 oz of water or if you wanted more juice you could use 8 oz. to a gallon of water.
You only need .5% solution (1 oz of 10% permethrin to 19 ozs of water) and ticks may crawl on you but you can watch them shake and fall right off your clothes.  To make a gallon (128 ozs) you would need 6.5 ozs of 10% permethrin with 121.5 ozs of water.  Your percentage with the mixtures you stated would be a little higher than .5% but should work just fine.   

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Sir-diealot

So was one ever found without petroleum? My turkey hunting clothes are also my deer hunting clothes so I am very worried about odor. If somebody has a link to one without petroleum that works it would be greatly appreciated.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

captpete

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 09, 2019, 12:42:23 AM
So was one ever found without petroleum? My turkey hunting clothes are also my deer hunting clothes so I am very worried about odor. If somebody has a link to one without petroleum that works it would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Martin and yes, it has a very slight order to it when it is dry. When I'm done hunting in the spring my camo get washed(can still smell it a little after being washed), lined dried and stored in a plastic tote until next spring. When I open the tote, there is no smell...at least not what I can detect. I think if you hung your cloths outside they would be aired out when deer season rolls around.

I also use a couple of piece of camo for deer hunting that I treat for spring turkey and have not had any issues with being picked off because of that. I have been winded, but that has happened when I wasn't wearing those treated items also.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on March 09, 2019, 02:48:21 PM

I use the Martin and yes, it has a very slight order to it when it is dry. When I'm done hunting in the spring my camo get washed(can still smell it a little after being washed), lined dried and stored in a plastic tote until next spring. When I open the tote, there is no smell...at least not what I can detect. I think if you hung your cloths outside they would be aired out when deer season rolls around.

I also use a couple of piece of camo for deer hunting that I treat for spring turkey and have not had any issues with being picked off because of that. I have been winded, but that has happened when I wasn't wearing those treated items also.
Thank you for the reply captpete.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LaLongbeard

A deers nose can detect multiple smells at the same time. If there close enough or the wind is wrong they WILL smell the permethrin, your human scent, or anything else you have on. Worrying about  thermocells, bug spray or permethrin is a waste of time.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

yelpy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 09, 2019, 03:02:07 PM
A deers nose can detect multiple smells at the same time. If there close enough or the wind is wrong they WILL smell the permethrin, your human scent, or anything else you have on. Worrying about  thermocells, bug spray or permethrin is a waste of time.

Agreed.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Extendo Clip

Does the spray stay on rubber boots effectively? Or only cloth materials?

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Extendo Clip on March 24, 2019, 08:46:46 PM
Does the spray stay on rubber boots effectively? Or only cloth materials?
It's not going to soak into the rubber boot like clothing, it will probably stay on for a little while but walking thru wet grass, brush or water and it will get wiped off pretty quick. Just make sure your pants are sprayed well and when the tick gets off the boot onto pants he's done. Permethrin is not a repellent like deet, it kills them.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobble!

Something I havn't taken seriously in the past and its cost me. Ordered some just now.

Dtrkyman

I use Sawyer on all clothes, not gloves though.

I have some socks that are pre treated somehow I got on amazon that are tight and tall, seem to work.

I also use top secret 3 in 1 I thinks it's called that has natural repellent in it, I have the body and hair soap as well as the clothes wash, I like the smell of it anyway.

I don't wash outerwear very often so I just apply Sawyer every couple weeks regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 25, 2019, 09:59:06 AM
I use Sawyer on all clothes, not gloves though.

I have some socks that are pre treated somehow I got on amazon that are tight and tall, seem to work.

I also use top secret 3 in 1 I thinks it's called that has natural repellent in it, I have the body and hair soap as well as the clothes wash, I like the smell of it anyway.

I don't wash outerwear very often so I just apply Sawyer every couple weeks regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried that top secret stuff. No go for me. It has rose geranium oil in it. Burns my nose and skin.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

uk.turkey.hunter

So which Permethrin to use without the petroleum? I guess I'm either lost or don't see the  permethrin that is recommended.