turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for the Permethrin!

Started by bbcoach, March 29, 2018, 08:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quackwacker NC

So I guess your not supposed to use the one with petroleum in it?

stinkpickle

Quote from: Quackwacker NC on April 11, 2018, 11:48:12 AM

You can...BUT the smell never comes out of your clothes.  Don't ask me how I know.   :(

crow

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: bbcoach on March 30, 2018, 07:26:46 AM
Here's a link to Tractor Supply  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=-10005    Martin's is the brand that I use as well.  It can be obtained, as I stated, from E-bay, local farm and seed stores, some pet stores (dog flea and tick dip) and Amazon.  If you use it in a spray bottle a pint will make 16 20 oz bottles.  A quart will go a long way, so share it with a buddy.  DO NOT GET IT AROUND YOUR CATS, it will kill them.

Thanks for the Idea, my neighbor has to MANY STRAY cats that just dont stay home. I now know I must treat my cloth by my shop and not in my house garage.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on April 14, 2018, 11:27:31 AM
Here's a link to Tractor Supply  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=-10005    Martin's is the brand that I use as well.  It can be obtained, as I stated, from E-bay, local farm and seed stores, some pet stores (dog flea and tick dip) and Amazon.  If you use it in a spray bottle a pint will make 16 20 oz bottles.  A quart will go a long way, so share it with a buddy.  DO NOT GET IT AROUND YOUR CATS, it will kill them.

Thanks for the Idea, my neighbor has to MANY STRAY cats that just dont stay home. I now know I must treat my cloth by my shop and not in my house garage.

It's only lethal to cats in concentrationconcentrations MUCH higher than what we're treating out clothes with.  Also, who'd miss a few cats anyways?   ;D
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Tail Feathers

I forgot to treat my camo before a trip to KS and OK one year.  I think I had two dozen or so tick bites on the trip.  I will NOT forget again.

TTT.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Twowithone

bbcoach I have Martins also but on the ingreidents it says it has petroleum in it. Reading up on this people are saying dont use if it has petroleum product in it.  :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Twowithone

This is a Q/A on Martins. Its confusing dont use petrulium products this stuff is water based and it says no spraying on cloths.

Can Martins Permethrin 10% be used to spray clothing?
A
Martins Permethrin 10% should NOT be applied to clothing. We do carry Tick Block which is specifically formulated for use on clothing. While both products do contain permethrin, the formulation of Martins Permethrin 10% contains materials that should not come into contact with your skin.

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

bbcoach

A couple of things here: 1. Do your best to keep the liquid off your skin, once it dries I have never had a problem, hang your clothes on a clothes line or on hangers and spray away, let dry.  2. This concentration is only .5% when mixed one ounce to 20 ounces of water, it is a low concentration but it definitely does the job  3. The Martins is all I've used.  It does have a slight odor when dry but we aren't worried about fooling a turkeys nostrils.  So you guys be the judge, as for me I don't want the diseases associated with ticks.

captpete

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 14, 2018, 04:39:06 PM
Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on April 14, 2018, 11:27:31 AM

It's only lethal to cats in concentrationconcentrations MUCH higher than what we're treating out clothes with. 
Also, who'd miss a few cats anyways?   ;D

I would my 2 cats WAY more than I would the 4-5 barking dogs that live around me. 8)

fallhnt

Just got back from KS. Tics are bad this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

captpete

Quote from: Quackwacker NC on April 11, 2018, 11:48:12 AM

I know the Martin's does have and I have used it without problems. Here is a permethrin product that is EPA approved for use on clothes. It was the first stuff I bought. It said right on the package that it contains petroleum distillates....so you be the judge.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MA7KPU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

mightyjoeyoung

Guys, just go to tractor supply and get the small livestock permethrine concentrate for about 10 bucks.  It's enough to treat an entire wardrobe of hunting clothes twice a year for 10 years, it's petroleum distillate free and dries with minimal to no odor. You guys are making this harder than it needs to be. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

maddog3355

I was diagnosed 3 springs ago with tick borne disease. Still have headaches and joint pain at least once a week. Bought a small jug of permethrin off of amazon and mix up 3 gallons at a time in a five gallon bucket. Throw my clothes in there and put a big rock on top of them to hold them down. Let them soak for an hour and pull them out and let them air out for at least a week. Always wear rubber gloves when mixing and handling wet clothes. Haven't had a tick yet when wearing treated clothes. Permethrin don't seem to repel mosquitoes so you will have to have a thermacell or two!!!

bbcoach

Gentlemen here's my take on this treatment.  Permethrin is a chemical that treats dogs for fleas and ticks.  It is also a treatment for scabies, as JoeYoung can attest at a 5% concentration.  We are using this at a .5% concentration to keep ticks from crawling on our clothes and imbedding into our skin.  Tick borne illnesses aren't anything to ignore.  These illnesses carry long term effects even if you respond to the antibiotics.  Only you can except or reject this treatment but I believe the rewards far outweigh any risk associated with low concentrations of permethrin.