OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time for the Permethrin!

Started by bbcoach, March 29, 2018, 08:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasinbirds

Just sprayed all my clothes and gear today. Thanks for the tip using a larger sprayer.  I've been mixing batches in a 24 oz Sawyer spray bottle I bought years ago, and refilling gets a bit tedious.

sasquatch1

i just make a 3 gal batch in a bucket and soak my clothes in it, then hang dry, then wash on one short cycle afterwards for any residue. works great.

captpete

I roll up my clothes and put them in a big(2-3gal.) ziplock bag. I mix up the Martin's concetrate that was mentioned above. I get it on Amazon...a quart costs roughly $23 and lasts me 2-3 yrs. I pour the mix into the bag....it takes about a quart of the mix to saturate a T-shirt, pants and sweatshirt. I let it set and soak for a couple of hours, then hang it out to dry. It doesn't seem to be as messy to me doing it this way.

Like it has mention...Permethrin is EXTREMELY toxic to cats.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 01, 2018, 07:38:12 AM
i just make a 3 gal batch in a bucket and soak my clothes in it, then hang dry, then wash on one short cycle afterwards for any residue. works great.

Im a nurse and have applied the MUCH stronger concentrated creams to patients for differnt conditions and the residue is completely harmless unless you're allergic to permethrine and you're honestly diminishing the effectiveness of the treatment washing it immediately after.  When not washed or soaked, it SHOULD last about 28 days. That is greatly reduced when you wash your clothes. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

sasquatch1

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 01, 2018, 10:29:18 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 01, 2018, 07:38:12 AM

Im a nurse and have applied the MUCH stronger concentrated creams to patients for differnt conditions and the residue is completely harmless unless you're allergic to permethrine and you're honestly diminishing the effectiveness of the treatment washing it immediately after.  When not washed or soaked, it SHOULD last about 28 days. That is greatly reduced when you wash your clothes.

Oh I dnt doubt it weakens it. But I've still hunted in some tick infested areas, that Ik from going pre permathrin trips. And I've watched them literally crawl on my pants legs and fall off dead in a second! Not one tick on me in 5 yrs since doing this method, last my whole season even with washing. I also don't like the way clothes feel when they just hang dry, kinda stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Just sprayed my boots and cloths. Ready to roll.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bbcoach

Just wanted to bring this BTT one time.  Ticks aren't anything to scoff at.  Every year, many people get the diseases associated with ticks.  Don't be one of those people that says it won't happen to me.  Several people that frequent this site will tell you Otherwise.  An ounce of Prevention is worth a ton of Cure.  Good Hunting to All.

Cut N Run

http://tic-nc.org/ <-----This is a good source of information about Tick-borne diseases and infections in the southeastern part of the country. The state of North Carolina publishes and maintains this site to increase awareness of what those little pests can do to people.  It can assist in identifying different species of ticks and the diseases they may carry.  I hope this helps.

Permethrin is definitely your friend.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

taylorjones20

Just soaked all of my gear in permethrin last night.  Stuff has really worked the past few years for me!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

POk3s

Had one try and bury into me last weekend in Nebraska. Even though it was cold the ticks were still out I saw 5 and have never treated anything with permethrin. Never even heard of it until joining this site. Going to be nice being stress free!

stinkpickle

Good reminder!  I need to pick up another bottle of Sawyers next week.  I used to mix my own and soak, but a 24oz spray bottle of Sawyers seems to cover everything I use anyway.

chadly

I've never heard of it until now.  I just ordered a bottle.  I'm curious for those of you that have cats how you handle that.  I do have a cat.  When I come home after wearing the clothes do I need to shower before coming in contact with the cat?  Just make sure the cat does not come near the clothes?  Thanks.

MickT

Quote from: chadly on April 05, 2018, 01:13:28 PM
I've never heard of it until now.  I just ordered a bottle.  I'm curious for those of you that have cats how you handle that.  I do have a cat.  When I come home after wearing the clothes do I need to shower before coming in contact with the cat?  Just make sure the cat does not come near the clothes?  Thanks.

I keep mine off the clothes until it's dry then put them in the tub. I don't worry about it otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Quote from: chadly on April 05, 2018, 01:13:28 PM

We have 2 cats. I make sure that the clothes are dry after I treat them before they get brought into the house. I change my clothes and shower pretty soon after I get home from hunting. The shower is basically for a tic check. This stuff works very well, but does NOT work 100%. I have seen my cats laying on my clothes after I change them and they have not had any effects from it....YET. I always try to put my clothes in a tub so the cats can't get to them. From what I have read, most cats get poisioned from tic and flea treatments that are for dogs. Those treatments are usually 45-65% concentrations. We are using a much lower concertration, but you still need to very careful with it...especially when it is wet.

RichieD

Don't hunt without treating everything.   Heading to Kentucky for opening day this Friday.  Spayed down and dried my stuff yesterday.  All set!  Last year guys were coming back loaded with ticks after hunting.... i believe i saw one tick crawling on me not attached all 3 days with the Permethrin.