turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for the Permethrin!

Started by bbcoach, March 29, 2018, 08:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html   As the weather starts to warm and seasons start everywhere, I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.  Lyme disease isn't something to turn your nose up to.  So grab some, via mix your own or Sawyers, and spray down ALL your clothing.  GREAT insurance to prevent Lyme disease.  GOOD HUNTING to ALL. 

Gobspur

Yep, just treated every piece of clothing I'll be wearing this spring/summer in the woods.  Covered my whole patio with multiple shirts, pants, socks, hats, etc.  I mix my own in a 1 gallon sprayer, like for roundup.  Started doing this 5 years ago and have not seen a tick since!

Double B

Great reminder.  Got my juice out and ready to apply, now just need some good weather!
Followed by buzzards

Cut N Run

Treating my hunting clothes is on my list of things to do today, especially since we got a warm, dry, breezy day and Winter has finally left us.  Maybe fishing tomorrow! I love this time of year.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mightyjoeyoung

Having had lyme that literally put me in the hospital and on my back for over a month,  I can tell you treating your hunting clothing,  boots, and accessories that can be treated is the absolute best thing you can do.  I treat mine every 2 weeks whether they need it or not now.  I use the livestock concentrate from tractor supply and mix it from 10% to 0.5% in a half gallon pump sprayer.  Soak everything down, including inside waist bands, cuffs and collars and let dry.  I do at least 2 sets and after they're dry I keep them bagged.  The odor goes almost completely away in a few days.  Also, don't be afraid of permethrine.   Its only dangerous to felines (AND bugs) and even when damp and it gets on your skin and is absorbed,  it passes harmlessly through your urine within a day or so.  It can irritate your skin so if it does, don't use it.  Be wary of concentrates that contain petroleum distillates as they actually can be toxic and can damage your plastic gear, stocks and paint.  I ALWAYS treat my clothes and have done so for yesrs.  The year I got lyme was very wet and I missed retreating my clothes and hunted in the rain, soaking my camo multiple times.  I ended up with and spot on the middle of my back that resembled a back pimple, but itched like crazy and didn't go away for about a month.  I had no classic "bullseye".  When it finally manifested,  I had every classic symptom from all over body pain to urinary symptoms.   I was treated with STRONG antibiotics for a solid month successfully,  but even 2 years later, I have random joint pain and swelling in my elbows knees and wrists and my his will hurt like they have railroad spikes in them.  Take this stuff seriously guys.  Those little bastards can ruin you.  Be proactive...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

zelmo1

Gamehide makes " Elimitick" clothing that is good for 75 washes( so they say) that works well also. I sprung for 3 sets for my girls and I. Better safe than sorry. Be safe, Al Baker

pabossie255

Yeah just dont stand into the wind when spraying it or you will end up breathing it in be carful on that end. And I know most are smart enough not to do it but winds change directions I try to wait till a calm day to spray.

Gobspur

And if it helps anybody out, here is the amazon link to the concentrate for making your own.  This one doesn't have any of the petroleum distillates in it:  https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-32oz-Quart/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1522331377&sr=1-7&keywords=permethrin&th=1

Instructions for diluting are in the previous thread linked above by OP.  Basically you mix 1 part 10% concentrate to 19 parts water (6.7 oz per gallon of water) to get 0.5% solution, which is what Sawyers is.  It's ALOT cheaper to mix your own.  Example: 12 oz of the Sawyers is roughly $10.  For $10 I can make 320 oz.  That's about 83 cents an ounce vs .03 cents per ounce.

tha bugman

yep been pulling them off of us since first of season

bbcoach

10% permethrin can be obtained via E-bay, Farm and Seed stores, Agri-supply, some pet stores and as stated Amazon carry it.  Very cheap insurance IMO.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I overuse it if possible.  The chiggers in south GA seem to really adore me.  We have a tick, the lone star tick, that can give you a disease that makes you allergic to red meat for the rest of your life.  Meanwhile I always end up sitting in a pile of ants and they don't make spray for that.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

SteelerFan

Quote from: Gobspur on March 29, 2018, 08:09:22 AM
Yep, just treated every piece of clothing I'll be wearing this spring/summer in the woods.  Covered my whole patio with multiple shirts, pants, socks, hats, etc.  I mix my own in a 1 gallon sprayer, like for roundup.  Started doing this 5 years ago and have not seen a tick since!

Love that idea! I'll be heading to the store to pick up a dedicated gallon tick sprayer.

nyhunter

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 29, 2018, 08:33:10 AM
Having had lyme that literally put me in the hospital and on my back for over a month,  I can tell you treating your hunting clothing,  boots, and accessories that can be treated is the absolute best thing you can do.  I treat mine every 2 weeks whether they need it or not now.  I use the livestock concentrate from tractor supply and mix it from 10% to 0.5% in a half gallon pump sprayer.  Soak everything down, including inside waist bands, cuffs and collars and let dry.  I do at least 2 sets and after they're dry I keep them bagged.  The odor goes almost completely away in a few days.  Also, don't be afraid of permethrine.   Its only dangerous to felines (AND bugs) and even when damp and it gets on your skin and is absorbed,  it passes harmlessly through your urine within a day or so.  It can irritate your skin so if it does, don't use it.  Be wary of concentrates that contain petroleum distillates as they actually can be toxic and can damage your plastic gear, stocks and paint.  I ALWAYS treat my clothes and have done so for yesrs.  The year I got lyme was very wet and I missed retreating my clothes and hunted in the rain, soaking my camo multiple times.  I ended up with and spot on the middle of my back that resembled a back pimple, but itched like crazy and didn't go away for about a month.  I had no classic "bullseye".  When it finally manifested,  I had every classic symptom from all over body pain to urinary symptoms.   I was treated with STRONG antibiotics for a solid month successfully,  but even 2 years later, I have random joint pain and swelling in my elbows knees and wrists and my his will hurt like they have railroad spikes in them.  Take this stuff seriously guys.  Those little bastards can ruin you.  Be proactive...

What is the Name, Band, container look like etc etc... from Tractor Supply that you use??? I been mixing my own for a couple years but i have so much camo I almost need a 50 gallon drum of it ;D

Thank you,

bbcoach

Here's a link to Tractor Supply  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=-10005    Martin's is the brand that I use as well.  It can be obtained, as I stated, from E-bay, local farm and seed stores, some pet stores (dog flea and tick dip) and Amazon.  If you use it in a spray bottle a pint will make 16 20 oz bottles.  A quart will go a long way, so share it with a buddy.  DO NOT GET IT AROUND YOUR CATS, it will kill them.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: bbcoach on March 30, 2018, 07:26:46 AM
Here's a link to Tractor Supply  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=-10005    Martin's is the brand that I use as well.  It can be obtained, as I stated, from E-bay, local farm and seed stores, some pet stores (dog flea and tick dip) and Amazon.  If you use it in a spray bottle a pint will make 16 20 oz bottles.  A quart will go a long way, so share it with a buddy.  DO NOT GET IT AROUND YOUR CATS, it will kill them.
That's the stuff nyhunter.   Makes A LOT.   Enough to treat your clothes and still have enough to spray around the house or camp.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.