turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you had 2 days

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, March 28, 2018, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

Say you have two days to hunt a thousand acres or so in wooded hill country. Is your best bet to kill a turkey running and gunning trying to strike one up or hunkering down on some hot sign and trying to call up a bird, silent or not? It seems when we are running and gunning we often spook toms we never knew were there that weren't gobbling. what say you?

Yoder409

If I did not have scouting knowledge of roost areas, I'm runnin and gunnin like a madman
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dublelung

I'll take hunkering down over running and gunning. Even if you aren't familiar with the area you can learn enough from Google Earth to know the most likely roosting areas.

zelmo1

I like runnin and gunnin, I am old and runnin may be a slight falsehood :OGturkeyhead:

njdevilsb

Personally I would be runnin' and gunnin'.  If I wasted 2 days just sitting in a spot with some sign and never saw or heard a bird, I would be wishing that I had tried to make something happen.

bbcoach

ARR, I'm with Zelmo.  I call it Glassing and Gunning.  Running is an misnomer IMO.  If you are cold calling to birds and don't get a response take out the binos and look hard for birds, move up 100 yards and lightly call again.  No response, glass again, move up again.  Slow and steady will find birds.  Make sure when you stop to call, you have already picked a spot to set down, if you get a gobbler to respond.

ArkyRidgeRunna

Quote from: bbcoach on March 28, 2018, 01:30:25 PM
ARR, I'm with Zelmo.  I call it Glassing and Gunning.  Running is an misnomer IMO.  If you are cold calling to birds and don't get a response take out the binos and look hard for birds, move up 100 yards and lightly call again.  No response, glass again, move up again.  Slow and steady will find birds.  Make sure when you stop to call, you have already picked a spot to set down, if you get a gobbler to respond.

Great advice. thanks.

Spitten and drummen

2 days...boots to the ground and making something happen.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tomfoolery

I would google earth the heck out of it before i went and try my best to locate where i think i could hear one on the roost. If i heard 1 on the roost i would spend most of my time in that general area and wait him out. If nothing on the roost i would run and gun. And even if you spook a silent bird, i knkw where id spend the next day. But i strike out most times so dont take my advice lol

daddyduke

A friend of mine is really good at covering ground efficiently. He walks around the woods slowly clucking with his mouth. When one answers or shows up he just leans against a tree. He told me he hasn't shot a bird sitting in over ten years. He hunts with an old Remington 1100 with a 30" factory full choke barrel and 2 3/4 Remington nitro express #6 shot shells.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gobspur

No deer hunting turkeys for me.  If not familiar with the area, I'd do some map research to identify best listening spots near likely roost areas.  Get in there early and listen.  Then be heading to get as close to one on the roost.  If that failed I'd be moving till I found another bird to work.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 28, 2018, 12:53:33 PM
If I did not have scouting knowledge of roost areas, I'm runnin and gunnin like a madman
^^^ This  :icon_thumright:

eggshell

I'd find a good listening point to start then I'd be on the move. I wouldn't call my method run & gun, maybe plod and gun. Move cautiously and steadily cold calling before going around exposed areas. If it's hilly ground then I like to stay off the ridge tops and move just under the crest and around a bench if possible, you'll spook less birds and have more cover to get close. I don't often find birds right on ridge tops anyway.

Big Jeremy

As others have said, I would listen for gobbling from the roost first thing, and head there to hunt a bird if I heard one. If nothing off the roost, do as others have mentioned, and hunt it slow and steady. I call it trolling...call, stand near where I would sit for a couple of minutes, move slowly about 50-75 yards and repeat. Works.

guesswho

I'm not much on the running and gunning.  But have no problems Bobcat'n, slip-'n or sneak and peak, whichever you want to call it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff