OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MS Public land near I-55 - Last minute

Started by jblackburn, March 26, 2018, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

Hey all,

This is extremely last minute, so if it doesn't work, no big deal.  I am leaving this afternoon to see may dad in Missouri and thinking of breaking my drive from Baton Rouge to there by making a quick hunt this evening and/or in the morning, depending on where I go.  Normally, I hunt the west side of the Homochitto, but it's a bit out of the way, so I thought I'd ask my OG brothers for a point in the right direction to see if this is possible.

I've looked at the east side of the Homochitto, around Union Church, Bienville, and Holly Springs.  My question is, are these places worth checking out and/or are there WMAs along the route worth checking that are not draw only. Also, a terrain question, where I hunt I normally focus on hardwood bottoms and the transition areas from pine to hardwoods, especially if there is a creek nearby. Will this basic tactic work at these other spots? I'm looking the NF's because I'll probably camp overnight.

Again, I realize this is last minute so any help is greatly appreciated.

Last thing, I'm well aware of hunting pressure and how tough the birds are. I've already take one off the Homochitto last week and hunted all weekend without hearing a gobble. I'm an obsessed turkey hunter that cannot take the thought of driving by a gobbling turkey without giving it the good old college try!  :funnyturkey:

Once again, thanks for any input.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Hooksnhorns

Don't Tread On Me