OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

how to condition aluminum call

Started by potter, March 25, 2018, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Just got an enticer wet aluminum call, it runs well anywhere on the surface, I have always sanded one direction and played across it, this call plays in any direction, would I ruin it if I sand in only one direction, it seems like it was sanded in a circular motion?any ideas?

southern_leo

Always condition in one direction. Not sure why it would be conditioned it a circle. Your striker running over the ridges is what causes the vibrations which in turn makes the sounds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: southern_leo on March 25, 2018, 09:30:53 PM
Always condition in one direction. Not sure why it would be conditioned it a circle. Your striker running over the ridges is what causes the vibrations which in turn makes the sounds.

:agreed:

Sand in one direction, turn it and call against the grain.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

potter

Watch the enticer videos on you tube, his calls can be played in any direction , anywhere on the call

southern_leo

Quote from: potter on March 26, 2018, 01:20:38 PM
Watch the enticer videos on you tube, his calls can be played in any direction , anywhere on the call
I believe all his are blasted glass which is why you can do that

owego

Condition that call with 400grit & green scotch brite. I was a machinist for 31 yrs. & all my call are precision made. Sound chamber, glass grove & sound board are all held to + or - .001.That is way you can sand it any way you like. It will play 360 not just one spot  If you have to sand a call one direction, it is not a precision made call. check this video.  http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/silver-thunder-extreme-aluminum/

southern_leo

The precision of a call being made has nothing to do with the way a surface is conditoned. If your calls are made with great precision but you put raw aluminum or slick glass in a call you HAVE TO CONDITION IT. It is impossible for a striker to play on a slick surface. I like enticer calls and own one, but don't knock  other makers saying they aren't precision if you have to condition the surface, because that is false. I own a wet one and it is blasted glass. Blasting the glass is conditioning the surface. Sanding and using stones are just other ways to accomplish that. Sanding and stones leave larger groves than blasting which is why you use the same direction.

fishr64

Quote from: southern_leo on March 26, 2018, 02:50:09 PM

Mine is slick aluminum. He recommended scotch brite and now I just use alcohol to clean the residue or oxidation.

southern_leo

Quote from: fishr64 on March 26, 2018, 10:14:47 PM
Quote from: southern_leo on March 26, 2018, 02:50:09 PM

Mine is slick aluminum. He recommended scotch brite and now I just use alcohol to clean the residue or oxidation.
He did at the beginning which is fine and correct. I don't like when other call makers make public comments that are condensending to other makers. The end of his comment was out of place. One direction conditioning is correct for consistent sound.

compton30

I don't know how this got derailed. All the calls I own sound great, no matter which part of the call I condition, as long as it is conditioned. I'm not sure how Leo's point got construed into this being about tolerances.

outdoors

Have you considered using rain chalk on the tip of your striker 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

potter

I still think your missing my question, I think I will just use scotch brite lightly in a circular motion for now.

potter

I forgot to mention I liked the aluminum pot so much, easy to play and sounds great. I just got my enticer slate and it works the same as the aluminum,  any direction, which for me makes it far easier to play. For me imop

owego

Potter, you might have got a gray stone with that aluminum call. If you did rub that gray stone in a spot where you want to play it & the striker will never slip & will be real raspy. On your slate call you never have to condition it , not that I use a different slate then most but the call is precision made is way they play easy. Take the slate call & rub it on you shirt & it will still work good. Try it you will be a surprised. Do not sand that aluminum call so it looks like railroad tracks. thanks al

owego