turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Besides Tenth Legion Fav Tom Kelly Book

Started by FLGobstopper, March 24, 2018, 08:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Looking to add to the collection some more great reading by the Col Tom Kelly. So everyone knows Tenth Legion, but besides that what do you consider a must own or read? What are your favorites and why?

LaLongbeard

I have every book Mr Kelly wrote as well as the cd version of him reading the books. Better on a rising Tide is one of my favorites all of his books have humor and some history. A lot of the stories about the logging of the original Longleaf stands of Pine in Alabama apply to Louisiana Mississippi and a lot of the southeast. The Boat is another good one about the building of a boat used for hunting and the people and places that went along with the construction. Tom Kelly is a great writer and you'll enjoy any of his books. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

marshboy

I reread "A Fork in the Road" before every spring gobbler season.
Greg

Bennett

I have all of them and have bought copies for my two young sons. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I recommend that you buy The Best of Tom Kelly, vol. 1 and 2.

quavers59

I just have-- FACES IN THE CROWD. I think this is one of his books that are hard to find.

Smooth_Operator

Better on a Rising Tide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

nitro

I have read "Tenth Legion" every February since 1978.

The other book from Col Kelly that I enjoy is " The Season". Both books should be in a person's book collection.
Royal Slam 2008

drenalinld

Better In A Rising Tide is my favorite over Tenth Legion.

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: nitro on March 24, 2018, 09:01:54 PM
I have read "Tenth Legion" every February since 1978.

The other book from Col Kelly that I enjoy is " The Season". Both books should be in a person's book collection.

Excellent choice as well, I own his collector's edition and generally read all 8 volumes every spring, "The Season" is one of my favorites...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

greencop01

After 'Tenth Legion' my favorite is 'Take Back in Fancy' a lot of good Kelly wit and turkey knowledge in it.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Halfski

J-Shaped

Lots of great choices, but if strictly wanting to follow along on the trials and tribulations of some turkey hunts, The Season is a good one.

paboxcall

Better on a Rising Tide, The Season and Dealer's Choice.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Izzyjoe

I have the tenth legion, but I also recommend the season, I don't have it, but it's at the local library,as well as other turkey books. I've heard some videos that are on YouTube, and he sounds like a very interesting fellow, one I could set and talk with for days on end!