OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ceramic

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 24, 2018, 08:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I have several and I have tried everything I know to get them to sound like a hen. Some are ok but I still won't hunt one because to me they have no rasp. I have been running calls for 35 years and still can't seem to get the sound I like.for you that like ceramic , some pointers on running it please. Thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

JLH

Try a different call maker.... :funnyturkey:

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: JLH on March 24, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

Uuhhh ok. Thanks for your valuable advice.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

TauntoHawk

I do like to score little section with a stone really grips well in that spot and with light striker pressure creates a lot of rasp on the back end my schaffer is actually raspier then I like if I use his red dymondwood striker

My houndstooth was a very young hen sound but man that thing called birds in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 24, 2018, 09:49:00 AM
I do like to score little section with a stone really grips well in that spot and with light striker pressure creates a lot of rasp on the back end my schaffer is actually raspier then I like if I use his red dymondwood striker

They are pretty high pitch and lack that rasp but I guess I should just hunt one and see what happens
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 24, 2018, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 24, 2018, 09:49:00 AM

They are pretty high pitch and lack that rasp but I guess I should just hunt one and see what happens
I like a ceramic to complement my twisted sister that brings the rasp

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JLH

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 24, 2018, 09:30:57 AM
Quote from: JLH on March 24, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

Uuhhh ok. Thanks for your valuable advice.

Uuhhh.....it was a joke.....hence the funny turkey emoji.

vt35mag

Bloodwood, Ipe, and Dymondwood run raspy on my Kaiser, Halloran, and Pecker Wrecker ceramics.
I don't put the stone to mine, but every once in a great while I will very lightly hit em with 220. There should  be a spot on your pot some where that will bring out some decent mid range rasp.
As far as running it, maybe elongate your striker strokes when yelping a little more???

Double B

Try a non wood tip, jb weld, bone, antler, carbon, some may get you more rasp. Wenge strikers can get pretty raspy too.
Followed by buzzards

Chris O

Try an Osage striker and light pressure seems to help the sound for me. I wasn't a fan for awhile but starting to like it better. I want to try one with aluminum sound board sometime.Chris Brumfiel has a file of one that sounded raspy

outdoors

Did you try to hold the striker in a different angle with light pressure
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: outdoors on March 24, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
Did you try to hold the striker in a different angle with light pressure

Yes
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

hunter22

Jody..... I have owned a bunch of ceramic calls. Some I really like and some I don't care for. My favorites I have now were made by Andy Kaiser, Daybreak, and Stumpy. I used my Stumpy in Colorado a couple years ago to call in a Merriams. I got a Cocobolo striker with a bone tip from Andy Kaiser and it was a match made in heaven for my curly Maple Kaiser ceramic.

Spitten and drummen

Thank you Rickey. I will continue to search for a striker
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

rt2bowhunter

I added a 1" piece of .300 ID carbon arrow to my striker. And conditioned the call with some sandpaper more or less just played with it. Until i got the sound i liked. I like the call much better now. IMO the carbon tip and roughing up the Ceramic went hand in hand.