OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Grand Slam 3" longer than Mag Shoks

Started by strum, March 23, 2018, 07:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

So Ive been shooting 3" Mag Shoks for a number of years and this year they are discontinued . So I got some Grand Slams and did a few test shots the other day. No issues there, they pattern fine for me.
Tonight im getting ready to head out for the opener in the morn and decided to shuck a few shells in my gun. No I dont travel loaded I just decided to do a test. Anyway I could only get one shell in the tube.  I thought maybe debris or somehting had gotten in the spring but after a little head scratching I found the Grand Slams are  longer than the Mag Shoks and any other 3" shells I have on hand. the solution was to simple trim my plug about 3/8" . Now its all good . I thought a 3" shell was a 3" shell in terms of length.
Neither one of em are 3" Learn something every day I guess

bbcoach

Question???  Why the plug???  Does your state require only 3 shells in the gun??  Turkeys aren't a Federally regulated bird like Dove and Waterfowl.  Just saying.  GOOD LUCK in the am!!!!  3 more weeks till our opener.

Gobspur

Was thinking the same.  No plug in my turkey gun, but I dont know all states regs.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

strum

Gobspur

Mag extension!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: strum on March 23, 2018, 10:02:34 PM
yeah its a state law . 3 shells only
What state so we'll know in the future?

strum

kdfester

Pennsylvania is limited to on in the chamber and plugged to 2 in the magazine.

allaboutshooting

You are right of course, a 3" shell is only 3" long after it's shot. The crimp, star crimp or roll crimp, as well as other factors, will affect its length prior to shooting. Many shells have different unfired lengths.

Illinois is another one of those 3-shot states.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CtRider

Quote from: kdfester on March 24, 2018, 01:22:20 PM
Pennsylvania is limited to on in the chamber and plugged to 2 in the magazine.
Same here in CT

cjordan

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

turkey_picker

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

bbcoach

Wow, I didn't realize so many states put a restriction on the number of shells you can have in the gun, since the turkey isn't a federally regulated bird.  No restriction or plug required in NC but I normally only have three in anyway.  Good info to know.