OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got too close scouting this morning

Started by blake_08, March 23, 2018, 06:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Went scouting this morning and I got closer than I intended. I was in the woods before daylight and just sitting on a log waiting for the morning. When that magical time started approaching, I heard a bird gobble in the distance. All of a sudden, about 60 yards from me, a bird gobbled and almost gave me a heart attack. I didn't want to spook the bird by moving away so I just slid off the log to the closest tree. The tom was hammering on the limb and I could hear him drumming and moving around. I thought "what the hell, I'll give him a little tree yelp to see what happens". I took my pot and scratched off  4 or 5 of the quietest yelps I could then put my call back in my pocket. Honestly I was hoping he didnt hear it. Well he did and he loved it. He flew down a few minutes later and came to me gobbling and strutting. I videoed him for 15 minutes at 25-35 yards before he walked off. I was shaking like a leaf and pumped up, but I think tomorrow I'll leave my turkey calls at home to remove the temptation. I'm hoping I didn't educate him too much but there's still a month until season, so surely he's not boogered up too bad. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

https://youtu.be/spxwsPBbG6Q

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

guesswho

Nothing negative happened so he has no clue. 

That's exactly why I don't carry calls while scouting though.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

blake_08

Yeah he never putted or acted too alarmed so I think he's alright. And honestly I usually just carry a crow and owl call, I don't know why I carried a pot today.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Great video!  Nothing hurt with that encounter. 

renegade19

Good story!  Some crazy law in Illinois that you can't use turkey sounds to call to them 14 days before the opener. 

Gooserbat

Quote from: renegade19 on March 23, 2018, 10:07:41 PM
Good story!  Some crazy law in Illinois that you can't use turkey sounds to call to them 14 days before the opener. 

Actually it's a great idea... especially if it's public land. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

A month before the season I doubt anything bad happened there.  A day before, perhaps.  Sometimes getting some great video like that is worth the risk,...but sometimes not...

I totally agree that if too many people are out calling in birds before the season that there is nothing positive that can come of that. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 24, 2018, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: renegade19 on March 23, 2018, 10:07:41 PM

Actually it's a great idea... especially if it's public land.
I agree...Nice video,but leave the call home. No reason in taking a chance on educating him to flying down to no hen and not being able to give him a face full of turkey shot...