OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magblends good lots and bad ?

Started by Johnnemily, March 23, 2018, 11:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnemily

I bought some and some people are saying some lots are good while others are horrible does anyone know how to be able to tell if you've purchased from a good batch? Thanks hate not knowing
#still hunting by the grace of god#

Ranger

They shoot terrible on paper compared to other shells, in the woods they kill, period.  I use MagBlends when it's a kid behind the gun because they're very forgiving, pattern like a blanket.  Myself I use a load that patterns a lot tighter.  This is a big reason why some praise them and some don't.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

taylorjones20

I didn't think the magblends had as much inconsistency between lots and the other hevi shells.  Could be wrong.  The Hevi #7's is the ones that people were all about the lot #'s.  I'd imagine you are good.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

gatrapper

Quote from: Ranger on March 23, 2018, 11:41:51 AM
They shoot terrible on paper compared to other shells, in the woods they kill, period.  I use MagBlends when it's a kid behind the gun because they're very forgiving, pattern like a blanket.  Myself I use a load that patterns a lot tighter.  This is a big reason why some praise them and some don't.

I fully agree! My Hevi 13 #6s pattern better than the magblend, but they both drop birds no problem.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

the Ward

Look at some pattern pictures in the patterning forum. They don't look terrible to me. I wouldn't call 200+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards a big blanket. I do think that mixing pellet sizes is a waste of hull space and straight shot size loads would be better, but I prefer the increased velocity of the blends vs the straight shot size shells.

Johnnemily

What load is your favorite just curious for the hotter cores?

albrubacker

Just shot this pattern yesterday. Super Nova, Trulock ported .660 @ 40yrds.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Johnnemily

That's a good looking pattern I have a final strut choke On the way to try in my browning I have yet to find any choke that will outpattern a 665 undertaker I bought for 5 bucks in a clearance made a believer outta me expensive stuff ain't always the best! I been doing 230-250 in 10 with the 3" longbeard #6s and 150-180 with #5 think I'm gonna use 5s because of the knockdown at long range I'm debating if the magblends would kill any farther than the longbeard 5s what Y'all thinkin?

Cut N Run

I shoot a .650 Sumtoy choke and the Mag Blends didn't pattern worth a flip compared to what the straight Hevi #6s or #7s do.  I gave the ones I had left to a buddy who shoots a more open choke and they perform well for him.  I think it depends on what your individual gun/choke combination likes.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Big Jeremy

I have been using Magblends for years...they have always performed consistently for me.

WW

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 26, 2018, 03:25:50 PM
I have been using Magblends for years...they have always performed consistently for me.

Yep!

mightyjoeyoung

Been running magblends since they came out.  Have never once had any consistency issues.  They wreck birds.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.