turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal tss 20ga 7’s question

Started by bigbird, March 23, 2018, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

How do they compare to the heavyweight 7's pattern wise? I'd like to try the 9's but aren't legal in my home state. I also forgot to add I'm using a 20 ga

love2huntnfish

I'd love to be able to give u an honest response to your inquiry, however I can't get my hands on either the 7' nor the 9's.....been trying for a month.....every place and site I've checked doesn't have em in stock....if anyone can point me to stash of 7's or 9's lemme know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

Heavyweight #7 is 219 pellets per ounce. T7s have 185/oz. T7s are lethal to animals in addition to turkeys much farther down range.

Dtrkyman

would say federal only came out with the 7s to address legality in some states!

bbcoach

Another State over regulating hunting.  DNR needs to get on board with Heavyweight and TSS shot.  Most State regs state no shot larger than #4's.

kjnengr

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2018, 03:23:10 PM
Another State over regulating hunting.  DNR needs to get on board with Heavyweight and TSS shot.  Most State regs state no shot larger than #4's.

Last time I checked, Size 7 shot is not larger than size 4.  I don't know of anyone that uses ammo with larger than #4 shot. 

bbcoach

Quote from: kjnengr on March 23, 2018, 03:45:02 PM

Last time I checked, Size 7 shot is not larger than size 4.  I don't know of anyone that uses ammo with larger than #4 shot.
Just to make myself clear in Most States not larger than size 4 means ANYTHING smaller.  Some States are specific from 4 to 7 or 7.5.  This is being too specific and over regulating as it doesn't allow 8, 9 or 10 shot and we know what the HW and TSS smaller shot does to turkeys.

bbcoach

Legal Equipment

Turkeys can be hunted only with:
•A 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge shotgun loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Nontoxic shot is required while hunting turkey on some DNR properties. Call the property for additional information.
•A muzzleloading shotgun not smaller than 20-gauge and not larger than 10-gauge, loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Combination loads using shot sizes other than these are illegal.
•Bow and arrow
•A crossbow

This is what is on Indiana's DNR website.  The OP is a 20 gauge hunter and would definitely benefit from TSS in 9 shot but can't use it due to over regulation IMO.

MS!48

I will be testing federal TSS 7's tomorrow after work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Number17

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2018, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: kjnengr on March 23, 2018, 03:45:02 PM

Just to make myself clear in Most States not larger than size 4 means ANYTHING smaller.  Some States are specific from 4 to 7 or 7.5.  This is being too specific and over regulating as it doesn't allow 8, 9 or 10 shot and we know what the HW and TSS smaller shot does to turkeys.

You were clear in your first post.......and then you muddied the waters.
I'm sure you know what you meant to say, but you said it wrong.

"Just to make myself clear, in Most States, ALLOWING SHOT not larger than size 4 means YOU CAN USE ANYTHING #4 AND SMALLER."

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

love2huntnfish

Quote from: MS!48 on March 23, 2018, 07:08:13 PM
I will be testing federal TSS 7's tomorrow after work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please do

MS!48

Here are the patterns with Fed TSS 7's and the choke tunes are listed also. I'm sticking with the Fed HW 7's in my set up. My brothers IC .555 loved the TSS 7's. I'm getting 40+ pellets through my Carlson with HW7's compared to the TSS 7's with my setup. I'd hunt any day with the TSS 7's at 145 pellets in a 10" circle though.