turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Swamp Gobblers Outfitters

Started by mtns2hunt, March 21, 2018, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I just returned from Florida after hunting with Swamp Gobbler Outfitters. I would like to thank the members on this forum that took the time to direct me toward this outstanding outfitter. Both Ben and Charley were helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable. There were plenty of birds and the terrain was awesome. Add the fact that the accommodations and food were much more than adequate (including the hot fresh baked cookies) and the stage was set for a great hunt.
Not only did I find the Osceola turkey tough to hunt. It took me almost two days to harvest. We worked a dozen birds but they did not respond: just went the other way! We sat and called and got answered but no birds showed. Another time fog came in on us and the turkeys stayed at the other end of the field. We tried moving and calling but got busted. We spotted birds on the power-line and while they showed interest they never came our way. We tried to circle ahead of them but no luck they never responded. Did I mention the temperature was in the 80's? It had been in the 30's back home and I could really feel the difference
As we moved around the property we had to cross a bridge where the center planks were missing. Ben said it would not be good to fall in as there were alligators in the water below. Great, I thought. In daylight I found out the gators were only about 12 inches long but there had to be a big one somewhere right?
After a long second day where I had only had one cup of coffee for breakfast we decided to head back to the lodge. As we drove down the sandy road Ben spotted two gobblers off to the side. The plan of the moment was to drive down the road a few hundred yards, park and then call. But as we drove we passed three more gobblers so went farther down the road before pulling off and setting up to call. Once the decoys were set and we were well concealed we started to call. After awhile Ben was able to see the gobblers about 200 yards away. The two groups had gotten together and were fighting. Some were flying up in the air ten feet in their struggles. Then everything got quiet and the gobblers were nowhere to be seen or heard.
Suddenly two Gobblers came into the decoys from the right. They had walked down the road and two came to us and the others had held back. Both birds were side by side and moved directly between the decoys. At first there was no shot as they were two close together but finally they separated to provide a shot and I pulled the trigger.
A fine hunt that I am glad did not end the first morning as I enjoy a longer hunt. Charley said hunters usually kill their birds much sooner. But I had a blast chasing multiple birds and roaming over much of the ranch.
I highly recommend Swamp Gobbler outfitters and they will be at the top of my list as I start my second slam. I do know they still have a couple openings this season if anyone is interested.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

cramerhunts

Sounds like a great time and congratulations on your Osceola! Ben and Charley are the best and I absolutely love the place. Happy you chose them and your story makes me want to go back as soon as possible!

strutstopper

Congrats! I wish I could hunt with them every year, their setup is awesome!

daddyduke

Congrats! Sounded like a time well spent.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

skimerhorn

Thanks for the info! Hopefully one year I can make it down there

zelmo1

Congrats on the bird, and thanks for the info. Great write up too.  :drool:

bbcoach

Congrats ALL around.  Beautiful story and Great ending.  Good Luck on your second SLAM!  Love those Swamp Gobblers.

Spikeit

Congrats! Great read. Hope to make it down there someday

Txag12

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, sound like a time well had.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."