turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Over hunting a spot

Started by Damson, March 21, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Here's the deal.  It's all about negative and positive reinforcement with pretty much every organism.  For turkeys, if something negative happens at a particular location enough times, they will learn to avoid that location.  If there are associated circumstances involved,...such as turkey calling from a turkey they can't see and/or with an unfamiliar, motionless hen turkey standing there,...even the pea-brained turkey will eventually put two and two together.

How long will it take that to happen?  That's hard to say.  Some of it depends on things like turkey densities in the area, and other things like the "positive reinforcement" elements that come into play.  The bottom line is that when turkeys change their behavior due to something bad happening at a particular spot a few times, if you have the option, it is probably best to try something different. 

turkaholic

I have to say the best trick I've learned while hunting the same ground year after year is to not always call from the same location. I have many areas that I will travel quietly for over a mile or so before making a peep. This calling your way in can screw things up if it becomes a habit. You can call that ground out on the way back just as effectively. It's just a trick that can work well. You can still try to shock a gobble on the way in if you need to. Ninja tactics

live to hunt hunt to live

Rzrbac

Notice everyone has different opinions and experiences. I think I can say I've experienced both ends of the spectrum on public and private (more public). While we try to assign habits and behavioral characteristics to turkeys, they are individuals just like we are. I also think they maybe a bit bipolar.

BB30

I don't know if I have ever seen turkeys quit using an area because of a gobbler being killed or bumping them. They will definitely become tougher to hunt IE more cautious. But turkeys are hunted every single day of the year. Not saying they won't frequent the area less or become extremely cautious while in the area but I just have a hard time believing they will completely quit using an area due to human traffic.

I could see them not using a travel route or adjusting their route to get somewhere but as far as not using an area that has a key component to their livelihood I have never personally seen and that includes public land. Too many birds get killed every year after being missed or screwed with all season.

I think if turkeys leave an area permanently there is a reason other than danger such as new food sources, the green up, etc.

Now all things being equal and they don't "need" that area I could possibly see them avoiding it. But if they are using a certain piece of ground daily or multiple times a day I would be willing to bet they will be back in there.

I don't know what state your in but we have a spot that gets a ton of traffic the first part of the season and as season progresses and the bachelor groups break up/ hens start going to nest that particular spot receives less and less traffic. Just as several places I hunt I won't hardly go in there until the middle part of the season as turkeys just aren't using it until the hens go to nest. You will be hard pressed to find a turkey track on it until the first week of April and then all of the sudden its covered up with tracks.

I would give it a few days off and get right back in there.

Gamblinman

Biggest tip I can give is to sit still after harvesting your bird and let the rest move off at their pace. Jumping up and running to a bird, sending the rest off running and flying off only reinforces their fear.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

g8rvet

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2018, 08:41:44 AM
It's all about negative and positive reinforcement with pretty much every organism.  For turkeys, if something negative happens at a particular location enough times, they will learn to avoid that location. 
That is positive punishment, not negative reinforcement.  Common mistake.  Negative reinforcement is the removal of a negative to encourage a behavior  If you had a collar on my neck and shocked me until I handed you $20-you remove the negative stimulus for a desired behavior.   If you had a dog collar on my neck and shocked me when I corrected someone - positive punishment by giving a negative stimulus (punishment) for an undesired behavior.

No matter how you name it, you are correct though. We have all had this talk before, turkeys can LEARN, but they can't REASON. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: g8rvet on March 24, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2018, 08:41:44 AM
It's all about negative and positive reinforcement with pretty much every organism.  For turkeys, if something negative happens at a particular location enough times, they will learn to avoid that location. 
That is positive punishment, not negative reinforcement.  Common mistake.  Negative reinforcement is the removal of a negative to encourage a behavior  If you had a collar on my neck and shocked me until I handed you $20-you remove the negative stimulus for a desired behavior.   If you had a dog collar on my neck and shocked me when I corrected someone - positive punishment by giving a negative stimulus (punishment) for an undesired behavior.

No matter how you name it, you are correct though. We have all had this talk before, turkeys can LEARN, but they can't REASON.

;D Yes, we have had this chat.  It's been too long since I took those college classes.   :toothy9: