OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: bird that drove me nuts last year (story added)  (Read 4516 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
bird that drove me nuts last year (story added)
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:08 PM »
Well what can I say other than it’s been a wild day. Got home from our trip this morning around 10 and decided to go check some trail cameras around 4:30 that Caitlin put out 3 weeks ago.
I chased a bird almost everyday last year and never laid eyes on him. He would always show up a couple hours after I had to head in. He drove me crazy.  Never would gobble or come to a call. I only would get pics of him walking the roads never strutting.
Did some soft calling on my way in and after 30-45min passed look who decided to slip in and check things out. Cool thing was my wife got to watch the whole thing as she was pulling the last camera.  Was wishing she was closer to me when it all went down so she could have gotten to take the shot.
One of the craziest hunts I’ve ever been on.
21lbs 10 13/16” beard 1.25” spurs

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:28:35 AM by 3seasons »

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
congrats on your bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
 Persistence pays off. He’s a dandy.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline tree_ghost

Congrats on a fine bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
What a nice gobbler! Sometimes it all just falls into place. Congratulations.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Great bird! Congrats

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
You must have burnt that turkey tote from last year.   :TooFunny:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
You must have burnt that turkey tote from last year.   :TooFunny:

I gave it away! I told them my story about the bad juju with it and they didn’t care. I was happy to give it to them.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Congratulations on a great bird! Way to go.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
congrats you are in fire!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Mississippi 2018
March 20, 2018
The bird that haunted me is back.
So we get back from Hawaii around 10am and I clean my poor gun that has been getting rained on for a solid week. Then me and Caitlin sit down for a second and completely crash out. I had set my alarm for 12 but we finally got up around 1:30pm 

I got my fans and took them to Mr. Alans and told him all about our hunts and then we talked about birds that drove us crazy last year. From there I rode by and talked to grandma about our trip until it got later in the day and I told her I needed to leave and go check some cameras we had put out before our trip.

I get home and tell Caitlin that im going to go check the camera and she said she wanted to go too.  She’s in her PJ’s (Oscar the grouch pj’s) so she throws on a jacket and her boots and I grab my gun and a call just in case. We get to the gate and while we are walking in I make a few soft calls but never hear anything which is expected. Once we got to the first camera I told her we would grab it on the way out and made a soft set of calls.  We then walked to the last spot and picked up the camera and started out.  When we made it back to the first camera I was standing in the road as she went to retrieve the camera. As im looking at some hen tracks I look up and around the curve comes the ghost I had been hunting all the prior year. There he is standing there looking and all in can do is look down at the ground in disbelief. He clucks a couple times and starts my way I couldn’t believe it, I slowly get one hand out of my pocket and ever so slightly motion for Caitlin to stay still and she finally sees me and locks up.  Now the bird has closed the distance to about 50yds and I reach behind my back with the hand that I was motioning to her with and turn my scope on. I then ease it back to my side. The bird is hesitant but still not spooked. He actually starts pecking in the grass and when he did that I made a quick move and got my left hand around and on my forend of my shotgun. He looks around and keeps walking (the only thing I can figure is I must have blended enough with the grass and gravel spots for him not to make me out, and a lot of divine intervention) towards us. Now he is about 35yds and can start to see my wife and +3probably me because I’m shaking like crazy now.  I ease my hand out of my right pocket and make my move constant and smooth and he stops and goes to take off and I squeeze the trigger and almost fall forward because I have forgotten to take the safety off. Then panic on both our parts sets in and I slap the safety off and make the shot before he disappears into the thick woods.  I couldn’t believe it, I was so happy and Caitlin was in awe. She said it was so cool watching me and the bird.  I believe that every bird has one day that you can get them on and that was his one day. Said a big prayer to the Lord and thanked him for everything he has done for me. Ill sleep better now that I don’t have to chase this big ol gobbler again this season. 

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: bird that drove me nuts last year (story added)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »
What a great story! Opportunistic turkey hunting. Turkey hunter just doesn't go to the woods without a call and a gun, regardless of what his intentions are.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
Opportunistic turkey hunting.

FC

Not the way I had planned on getting him but hunting him the entire season last year the way I did was a total 180 from the way I want to hunt a turkey too.  I didn't want to have to hunt another season like that but was preparing myself to. 

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
Brother, take 'em anyway you can get 'em. Great turkey.