OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel length

Started by toypar, March 20, 2018, 11:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toypar

What do you all like 21",24",or 26"?and why?

deerpoo22

I have a SBE 2 in 26 in. I wanted an all purpose gun and felt 26 was just right for me. I have never in all the years I've turkey hunted had a problem lugging around a 26 in barrel in the turkey woods

zelmo1

Target shooting I like a longer barrel for a longer sight plane. I have a 26" barrel on my turkey gun. Shorter is better in the woods. The choke is more important to me. Just my opinion.  :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

CDNduckslayer

First dedicated turkey gun had a 26", just a little too long for my liking in the woods, I'm now toting a 21" and won't be lookin back!

daddyduke

21 for turkey. 26 for everything else
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

blake_08

On my dedicated turkey gun I've got a 20" and wouldn't want it any longer. All my general purpose guns have 28".

penna shooter

Winchester 22in Turkey barrel here....
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

Ross R

I have been using my sbe II 28" with an Indian creek choke and I feel like i am lugging around a telephone pole.  I manage to hit every branch sneaking around in the woods.  I am hoping to get the weatherby sa459 which is 22" I think and make it my dedicated turkey gun. 

Ozarks Hillbilly

The first dedicated turkey gun I bought 35 years ago sported a 36" full choke barrel. Since then I have carried everything down to a 21". My current  dedicated turkey gun is 23" I think its a good fit for me I mostly hunt in the timber.

Gobbler428

I have turkey hunted with a BPS 26" barrel for the past 30+ years and have never had a problem getting through the woods with it.  I decided to get a new turkey gun this year and now have a SBE 2 with a 26" barrel.  I like a longer sight plane and I think it really depends on what you like best and get used to. 

fallhnt

Short for turkey only.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

taylorjones20

I have a 26 and 28.  Never had a problem with either being too long.  Great patterns and nothing to complain about.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Cane Cutter

21-24" for turkey. 26 for wing shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bringin tha boom to ya room!

Old Gobbler

IMO a 26 inch barrel is ideal for not only turkey but waterfowl , but that's ME , you may wear a size 12 shoe and me a 10 try out the gun in the store to see of its a fit

Without asking the barrel length in the gun store go shoulder it and let that be your measuring gauge , not a tape ruler

I will say this ...the newer Italian autos  and FN/browning-winchester autos , point so good like a 20 ga  and are of such high quality , you can go splurge on 1 auto and will be set for a long
...long time on a "all in one gun"  autos have come a long ways in the last 25 years

The remington versamax is another real good handling auto

If you have a youth or lady hunter and you want.to get them a 20 but are concerned that they may grow out of it ....lake a look at the berretta outlander in 3 inch ...feels like a 20 .....the price is reasonable on those too
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greg Massey