Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sneaky #3

Started by harleytom, March 18, 2018, 02:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Had lots of gobbling after fly down with a bird 400 yards and a couple of big hills behind me. Decided to try to call him closer, because I didn't wanna tackle those hills. Eventually worked him to about 150 yards on a hill to my left and he began to work his way around me gobbling every 3-4 minutes but staying on the hill. With the thinned timber in this area it's just too open to make a move so I elected to wait him out. After 30 minutes or so another gobbler fires off less than 100 yards in the bottom to my right. I began to focus on that area just knowing he was coming my way. Minutes passed with no sight or sound of the bottom gobbler, meanwhile the one on the hill continues to fire off. Finally I hear the one in the bottom and it's obvious that he has moved and is working away from me. The one on the hill has also moved further away and I began to call to him again. During one of his lulls, I hear a soft yelp back towards my left on the hill. I mimic the yelp and then see a bird (thought it was a hen) angling toward me down the hill. I lost sight when it went behind some bushes at 80 yards and a sudden movement to my right caught my attention. It was a turkey moving away from me to my extreme right. As it was walking I saw a beard swing in sight and when it's back was to me I brought my gun up and twisted around to shoot. He hit the ground at 30 yards and I'm sitting there perplexed at how the bird could come in on me like that. Thinking it must have come in behind me until I saw it on my right. Nice 2 year old, 18 & 3/4 lbs, 9 & 1/2 inch beard, 5/8 inch spurs. Scores out a 50.25. Didnt get pics of weight and scorecard since it's not an  upgrade anyway. Greatl gobbling action this morning, looks like things are heating up in Bama.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

cramerhunts

Way to go! You're off to a heck of a spring! Congratulations

3seasons

Hinge congrats on a fine first few days of the season. Wow!!

harleytom

Thanks guys, it's been a wild ride so far and I'm glad to be on it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FullChoke

Wow, you are a juggernaut! Congratulations and don't slow down!

Cheers :you_rock:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.