OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Rain gear do y’all like?

Started by Nidanation, March 17, 2018, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidanation

Was going through all my hunting gear and realized I hadn't wore my rain gear in awhile. When I tried it on I remembered I purchased the suit when I was a freshman in high school and it no longer fit. So I was wondering what are you guys wearing or liking these days? I'd like the suit to be lightweight and compact so I can throw in my turkeyvest or deer back pack and be able to throw it on when the rain comes.

Sixes

Cabelas packable, it folds up and is stored in it's own pocket

strut-n-rut

IdahoMountainGobble

Cabela's Dry plus pant, KUIU Chugach rain jacket. Essential out here.

Rzrbac

I have cheap Frog Toggs packed for mountains. In southern MO I don't wear anything. I keep walking whether it's raining or not and usually sweating a lot so I just don't see a need for it. In the mountains I usually hunker down as it seems like the rain passes quickly out west.

Kylongspur88

For spring turkey a $20 dollar camo poncho and one of those screw in umbrellas are the ticket. The poncho is super light and keeps me, my vest, and even gun dry. If you put a hole in it camo duck tape is the fix and if you really rip it it's cheap to replace.

howl

Usually it isn't cold enough. Might as well get wet from rain instead of sweat. When it's cold enough, I use an oilskin duck hunting jacket and some Cabelas goretex pullover pants or other insulated camo that has a waterproof membrane.

mgm1955

MShillhunter

I've had the Cabelas 4-Most Dry Plus for two years and have zero complaints.  Cabelas makes a great product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

I am a waterfowl hunter, and have gotten tired of being wet and uncomfortable when it rains...

In the past, I have worn Frogg Toggs, but after going through several coats in one season (including have the zipper break on a brand new jacket), I decided to go with something a bit better and more durable.

I did some research, and my three top picks were Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite.  Frankly, after talking to people that owned each, all were very happy.

My father owns both a Kuiu (Yukon) and a Sitka (Delta), and says that they are almost equal.  The color pattern of the Kuiu is not optimal for waterfowl, and the coat is a bit longer (not made to wear over waders), where the Sitka is designed a bit better for waterfowl.  However, my father does slightly favor to the Kuiu for overall comfort in the field....

I went with the Sitka, cause I was offered a new coat at 65% off of retail, and jumped on it...

Having had the opportunity to wear it in a couple of storms, I will say, that it works better (for keeping me dry and comfortable) than any other coat I have ever worn, and it is designed very well for waterfowl hunting.

Were waterfowling not my primary use, I would likely go with Kuiu or First Lite, and my purchase would be based on which I could get a better deal on.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

guesswho

Just a cheap poncho for me.  And Inusually don't even break it out unless it is a down pour. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

kyturkeyhunter4

HookedonHooks

I've owned several pair, including a Frogg Togg that I feel absorbed the water rather than repelled it. Never again for those, and probably never again with any suit for turkey hunting.

At this point, I'd rather just get rained on, than sweat my nutz off. Pack Ziplocs for wood calls, once you can no longer stand getting poured on, go into the thick timber, go back to the truck, or go home.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I just get wet nowadays.  The frog togs snag and rip too easily in the brush.  They are seemingly made of paper towels in my hunting environment.  My old USMC poncho with vintage woodland camo has saved me a few times though. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion