Main Menu

SD 2018

Started by wade, March 16, 2018, 07:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade

Just ordered my Black Hills permit.
Do it outdoors

Tomfoolery

Good luck. Went last year for the first time. Tagged my first merriams the first day. Beautiful country and beautiful birds.

SD_smith

wade

Quote from: Tomfoolery on March 16, 2018, 07:41:10 PM
Good luck. Went last year for the first time. Tagged my first merriams the first day. Beautiful country and beautiful birds.

You did way better than me, I hunted 6 mornings and 1 afternoon and didn't bring home a bird.
Do it outdoors

Tomfoolery

Quote from: wade on March 17, 2018, 03:46:07 PM

You did way better than me, I hunted 6 mornings and 1 afternoon and didn't bring home a bird.
We hunted 5 days after i killed mine to try and get my cousin one but didnt connect. Was on birds every day but we were a little early  had a blizzard roll thru. Still fun chasing them in that tetrain

High plains drifter

Hoping  to hunt the black hills.Can you buy over the counter tags?

wade

It is not an actual drawing but you do have to apply online. As far as I know you are guaranteed a tag if you apply.
Do it outdoors

Bolandstrutters

I've got a black hills tag in South Dakota and Wyoming.  Struggled last year, but finally found birds.  Have a better idea on where to start this year so hopefully I can redeem myself

wade

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 22, 2018, 08:07:32 AM
I've got a black hills tag in South Dakota and Wyoming.  Struggled last year, but finally found birds.  Have a better idea on where to start this year so hopefully I can redeem myself

Good luck. I'm hoping for more success this year myself.
Do it outdoors

Tomfoolery

just curious why you only hunted 1 afternoon. I killed my bird in the evening.

wade

Quote from: Tomfoolery on March 22, 2018, 08:34:28 AM

just curious why you only hunted 1 afternoon. I killed my bird in the evening.
Me and Wifey were seeing the sights. Not often a Carolina boy gets to drink a cool one where Wild Bill got shot.
Do it outdoors

Tomfoolery

I hear ya  that was our plan if we got my cousins bird but we grinded to the end and the blizzard set us back.

Bolandstrutters

The weather was crazy last year the first week of May.  It was 70 degrees plus driving through the entire state of South Dakota.  As soon as we hit Rapid City the temps dropped into the 20's and we woke up to 6 inches of snow the first morning.  Most days were in the 50-60's and then all the sudden it would start dumping snow on us.  Hopefully it's better this year because I'll be tenting it for 10 days.

marshboy

Welcome to spring weather in the Black Hills, lol.

Tomfoolery

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 23, 2018, 08:09:14 AM
The weather was crazy last year the first week of May.  It was 70 degrees plus driving through the entire state of South Dakota.  As soon as we hit Rapid City the temps dropped into the 20's and we woke up to 6 inches of snow the first morning.  Most days were in the 50-60's and then all the sudden it would start dumping snow on us.  Hopefully it's better this year because I'll be tenting it for 10 days.
We tent camped also. And it was freezing lol. 2 days in the teens with a foot of snow