OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DIY Gun Cradle/Butt Sling

Started by vthokie7227, March 15, 2018, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vthokie7227

Just wondering if anyone has made their own gun cradle/butt sling like you see on the Ol Tom or Knight's Hands-free vests? Tips or photos are appreciated!

Anobody

I'm sure I could make on e out and f paracord or nylon webbing . Might have to mod your vest with a hole or button
Please come follow my paracord creations on facebook as well.   On point paracord
https://www.facebook.com/100037570381935/posts/100617547867258?s=100037570381935&sfns=mo

TN Beard Buster

I haven't made one, but I know the guys that do the Handsfree Vest and they may just have what you want! They're redesigning the vest before next year, but this year they are offering a strap on shoulder harness and a knee rest combo for around $40. It's the same thing as is on the vest, but you can use it on your current vest.

tha bugman

never heard of anyone doing it but it should be simple enough.

vthokie7227

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got some 1/2" webbing I was going to try and use. I'll keep you posted if I figure something out

Mbhyman88

Both my vests have the sling built in, one being the Ol Tom.  I love having a hands free system and don't think I'd have a vest without it.  Now to your question about tips, I can't help with the design of a homemade sling but I will comment on the knight and Hale system that was linked.  I don't like the knee pad rest for the barrel.  I like to be able to move my legs if I'm going to be sitting for any length of time.  Instead of using a knee pad style rest I use a small telescoping shooting stick that I throw in the back of my vest while walking.  Once setup I jam roughly 6"s of the bottom section of the shooting stick into the ground, then adjust to the top section to my desired height.  With the shooting stick stuck in the ground it stays in place and supports the front have of my shotgun and holds it in place and doesn't fall left or right.  If I need to I can easily pick up the shotgun and swing left or right if I need to without the shooting stick getting in the way.  This may not work for all but has worked well for me and I really like my setup.  The shooting stick I use is just like this one in this link.

https://www.agrisupply.com/compact-shooting-stick/p/57776/?

The bottom is pointy enough to go easily into the ground and it collapses down small enough to fit into the back of my vest.