OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 magazine cap

Started by tha bugman, March 15, 2018, 05:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

The magazine cap on my 835 has apparently seized up for some reason....I cannot turn it with my hand at all.  Not really concerned about it now as season has started and I don't plan on taking the barrel off.  Any ideas as to why this may have occurred? ???

Happy

Not sure why it would seize up. Should be able to wrap a rag around it and free it up with channel locks

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

Quote from: Happy on March 15, 2018, 05:53:53 PM
Not sure why it would seize up. Should be able to wrap a rag around it and free it up with channel locks
1 thought that I had was that it may be due to me shooting it in the cradle of the lead sled.  Mine is not adjustable, so the fore arm is barely in the cup of the rest.  maybe the recoil moving backward may have done it.  Hope I didn't damage anything. ??? ::)

Happy

The threads are pretty course on the magazine cap. I wouldn't think recoil would be enough to jam them but those 3.5's aren't for the faint of heart. I always shot off my shoulder just cause I wanted the recoil to go somewhere. Was it just hand tightened on?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BoWhoop

Before you go the channel lock route try rubber gloves or a piece of inner tube, and before that try to get a little bit of Break Free down in the threads. 

tha bugman

Update....don't know why but reached up with my bare hands and with very little effort it broke loose!  All is well again!! :you_rock:

bamahunter

I think they did a good job with that knurl design on bottom of mag cap and I've had a few times over my 24ish yrs of using my 835 that it appeared to sieze... I just hit the butt of stock against ground to try and slide barrel back a little and was about to loosen... Mossberg and their precision, aerospace grade, machining tolerances :)  :z-guntootsmiley:

longislandloco

A trick I found from an old-timer older than me...........stand gun up on hard floor, push down on barrel and turn knob, sometimes just relieving a bit back pressure on the cap helps, if you have a very soft recoil pad, take it off.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Old Gobbler

Quote from: longislandloco on March 20, 2018, 05:40:07 PM
A trick I found from an old-timer older than me...........stand gun up on hard floor, push down on barrel and turn knob, sometimes just relieving a bit back pressure on the cap helps, if you have a very soft recoil pad, take it off.
I do the same thing except.....I pop the gun on the floor lightly to simulate the recoil from a shell and twist the cap off, I can actually get a cap off by hand doing this that folks would have a hard time getting one off with pliers
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon