turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

effective range of hevi-7's?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, March 15, 2018, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_Stokeld

ok, the usual disclaimer, i am NOT planning to shoot a first shot at a turkey past 40 yards.

what do you consider to be the effective range of hevi-7's?

thanks!

BrowningGuy88

Way farther than we can discuss on here...

g8rvet

At 40 yards, +/- a little misjudge, they are deadly in both pattern and penetration. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deerpoo22

Quote from: BrowningGuy88 on March 15, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
Way farther than we can discuss on here...
yep. I can assure you from personal experience far farther than we can discuss on here and with authority

Marc_Stokeld

it is the heavy-13 #7

i have NO desire to put a first shot on a bird past 40. but for the sake of argument, how far would folks consider to be the max effective first-shot range of hevi-13 #7's?

this is all new to me and i am curious. plus i want to know in case i misjudge the range.

g8rvet

It will kill one far enough out that if you say you accidentally misjudged the range, you are lying! :happy0064:
:toothy9: :toothy9:
I messed up on one and thought he was about 41-42.  He was 48 yards.  Stone dead with the old Hevi 6.  But I still knew he was further than 40 and should not have shot. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

Effective Range of Hevi-13 7's = what your gun, choke and load tells you on the pattern board period. 

Drake, we are talking about Hevi-13 7's

Tom Foolery

H13 #7's are killers for farther than we are allowed to talk about here, they're hammers

Izzyjoe

The best thing a turkey hunter can ever learn is judgment of distance, a range finder would be helpful to start with. But once a guy get to were he can judge yardage pretty close he'll be better off. With all that said, a few years ago I was patterning some hevi-13 6's in 20ga at 40yrds, and they went completely through a sheet of plywood! Most lead shot just buries up in it. I'd venture to say that at 50yds they would still be stroking!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Drakehammer on March 15, 2018, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: Marc_Stokeld on March 15, 2018, 01:51:08 PM
ok, the usual disclaimer, i am NOT planning to shoot a first shot at a turkey past 40 yards.

what do you consider to be the effective range of hevi-7's?

thanks!
Kind of ambiguous question. Need to clarify.
Hevi-13 #7s (12g/cc)?,  Federal Heavyweight #7s (15g/cc)?  TSS #7s (18g/cc)?  Velocity?  Pattern density?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He put Hevi 7s in the title

Old Gobbler

EM hs 1080 fps #7 pattern well, they DON'T penitrate well....

In a poltically correct way of saying it ....there is hardly any "fudge factor " past 40..... if that -that's not a invatation to everyome to post up another eyesore "longest shot thread " just trying to steer you away from a sad hunting experience that some other folks had

If you have  a choice between that particular offering and mag blends ....go with mag blends

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Deast1988

The few I Shot with Hevi shot #7 factory loaded 3.5in, they flopped like crazy. I don't think they go fast enough. They do kill, my buddy watched me fold one up with #7s he went home immediately and got on the hevi shot train. His first experience with was super impressed. I've been shooting Nitro stuff a while and the 1200fps hits way harder then the striaght hevi loaded stuff. #7 can and will easily do 40yds I just didn't think the birds acted hammered with it. In my 12ga now I have a 6x7 duplex of hevishot that  crushes compared to the straight #7s.

KentuckyLB

The whole way further than we are allowed to talk about here kills me...sounds like im at grandmas house no cursing boys. :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Gobble!

Quote from: KentuckyLB on March 20, 2018, 09:24:51 AM
The whole way further than we are allowed to talk about here kills me...sounds like im at grandmas house no cursing boys. :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Seems simple. Don't walk into another mans house and break his rules.

pdaugherty

I've had great results at 40yds with HEVI #7s and would say that with the right choke/shotgun combo their range is effective well past that. By saying that I don't encourage anyone nor do I take shots at birds past 40yds if I can help it. But I would feel comfortable saying you do have a buffer in case you misjudge it. Like someone else said if you aren't sure about the #7s then go with the MagBlend.