OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphram calls

Started by Upfold99, March 15, 2018, 06:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upfold99

How do you store your diaphram calls from day to day between hunts?

I have tried several different cases and the reeds always seem to be stuck together each morning. Im always nervous to make the first call fearing what sound may come out. Anyone experience this? Whats your workaround?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EKyhookr

Toothpick or paperclip, I use wooden toothpicks I cut the tip off of em and stick it between the top reed. Good to go. Or if you don't wanna do that throw your go to call in on the way to your spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Wash with tap water, toothpicks between the Reed's, and allow them to dry before storage.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

OldSwamper

I agree with eKyhookr, no matter how I store it, I always put the call in on the drive to the spot and warm it up, then you are ready to go at game time.....

as for storage itself, I would imagine Gooserbat's recommendation for toothpicks or paperclips would be fine

Upfold99

I agree guys. If its a call I want to keep till the following year, I use flat toothpicks to seperate the reeds.

I put my go to call in early and by time i get ready to use it, its ready to go.  But if I decide to try another during that hunt, thats the one that worries me. Just curious if someone knew a better way.

Thanks for your replies.

Happy

I just put them in alcohol free mouthwash for an hour or two. Let dry and throw them back in my case. It's a plastic crimp connector case that I drilled holes in. As far as that first sound in the morning I just get the reeds loosened up on my drive to where I am hunting so it is good to go.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

If you are concerned about your health, I would advise putting your calls in mouthwash at the end of the day,...or at least every couple of days,..to kill the stuff that might start growing on them.  ;D

As far as reed separation, it depends to some degree on the call, and specifically, the reed configuration.  Proph reed calls need to be separated as much as possible between uses because those thin reeds will stick together tightly and will possibly stretch when separated.  Thicker reed calls can usually be separated fairly easily by gently pulling the reeds apart by hand. 

Another point to be made is that, even during use, the reeds can become stuck together and start impacting the sound of the call.  Pulling the reeds apart gently when that happens will usually solve the problem (until the next time it happens). 

Gobble!

Water rinse and into the freezer, keep the reeds separated without putting anything between them. I will use mouth wash after each use if I'm sick.

Gobspur

Practice.  What I mean by that is, every day when you hop in the vehicle to drive to work, practice by putting in a dry mouth call, getting it wet, and making some calls.  Just start out with light clucks.  Will be the same as when you pop it in sitting down in the woods.  Can also just warm it up on the way to your hunt as others said.

I've got neither the time nor inkling to mess with putting toothpicks between reeds.  During season I keep mine in an old tobacco can with a tiny splash of crest non-alcoholic mouthwash.  So I guess you could say they're always a little moist.  Off-season when I practice some, I just rinse, pat dry and throw in freezer till next use.

Upfold99

Thanks again for the comments.

I too do not have the time to seperate reeds with toothpicks each day. I will use a call stick in my vest when finished, and repeat the next morning. It's the ones that sit in my vest a few days between use,  that I was referring to.

There stored in call cases with holes drilled in them. However, the rng turkey vest has nice pouches that I will be using this year.

guesswho

Mine stay submerged in water and in the refrigerator.  I separate the reeds with a small knife in the field as needed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

perrytrails

Rinse in water, pat dry on a paper towel.
Let them sit for a few hours to dry.

I keep them in a plastic snuff can in the frig and carry them in it while hunting.

I don't do tooth picks, not needed.
Only takes a minute or two of rehearsal in the truck to loosen them up.

The key is getting the saliva off, and I would think most brush teeth and use mouth wash in the morning, daily.

Works for me, for 35 years...ymmv

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Upfold99 on March 15, 2018, 06:16:59 AM
How do you store your diaphram calls from day to day between hunts?

I have tried several different cases and the reeds always seem to be stuck together each morning. Im always nervous to make the first call fearing what sound may come out. Anyone experience this? Whats your workaround?

Cannot imagine why you would wait until you get in the woods and possibly close to a gobbler to find out if the call is going to work or screech. Try a few yelps in the truck before you head in the woods and follow the advice given about cleaning and storage.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

joker

For my mouth calls I keep the reed savers in them anytime they are not in my mouth. I carry an eye dropper bottle full of water with me while hunting. When I take the call out to use it I squirt a little water between the reeds and work the reed savers back and forth a few times. When I take the call out of my mouth and put it back in the case the reed savers go back in. By doing this the call is always ready to go, the reeds will stay separated and will never stick for you. The best reed savers that I have used are the ones that I make. I just cut the bend off of small plastic coated paper clips.

g8rvet

I use a call pouch made of leather that has holes cut in it so it can breath good-no idea where I got it, it has to be over 15 years old.  I just use them, and put them back in it.  Been doing it that was forever, no mold, no problems.  just emptied my vest yesterday and both calls in it worked fine, but I tossed them anyway as I had ordered some new ones and the latex looked a little old. They were 2 years old.

I also put mine in my mouth while walking. 

I do think the mouthwash and toothpick is a great idea and if you will do that, it will make them last a lot longer.  2 years is fine for me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.