OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite week to hunt NY/Penn?

Started by deerhunt1988, March 15, 2018, 06:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Planning on a trip to these two states this spring and can't decide whether to take vacation May 7-11 or 14-18. I'll be hunting public ground and I usually like to go earlier since more birds will be alive. Are they normally pretty vocal in early May? One benefit of going the 14th-18 is all day hunting in Penn, but I know a lot of birds will already be dead by then.. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Sir-diealot

If you go in NY I would surly go early, if you are hunting public land, once they get educated after that first week or two they get much harder to get. When I started hunting them around 98-99 there were a lot more of them around but NY has been in a decline. Here is some stuff from the DEC you may want to read if you like that kinda stuff like I do, the second one breaks down harvest by year and county. Where will you be hunting?

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48823.html
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30420.html
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mightyjoeyoung

We don't have turkeys in PA.  Seriously though,  numbers are way down depending on where you're hunting, but I assure you, all the birds won't be dead by the time you get there. The vast majority of folks that hunt gamelands aren't exactly Preston Pittman types and are content to stumble throught the woods hacking on a box call or squawking on a pot call at volumes a deaf 95 year old could hear over a jackhammer.  They hit the woods in earnest the first couple weekends and then peter off, so concentrate on the week days and hunt smart and be willing to gomfurther than the weekend warriors and you just might come out about 20 pounds heavier...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

PALongspur

It really seems to turn on towards the end of the second week, at least in PA's northern tier. Pressure makes a difference of course. Given the choice, I'll always favor late season hunting.

johnski

I grew up in the central NY and granted I only started hunting turkeys in 2006 but I have always I had better luck latter in the season. The gobblers are more repsonsvive, less competion from real hens and less hunting pressure as people seem to hit it hard the first week or two and then give up.  I still head up there memorial day weekend every year and I hunt a mix of private and public land and pretty much have the woods to my self.

Fullfan

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 15, 2018, 07:49:47 AM
We don't have turkeys in PA.  Seriously though,  numbers are way down depending on where you're hunting, but I assure you, all the birds won't be dead by the time you get there. The vast majority of folks that hunt gamelands aren't exactly Preston Pittman types and are content to stumble throught the woods hacking on a box call or squawking on a pot call at volumes a deaf 95 year old could hear over a jackhammer.  They hit the woods in earnest the first couple weekends and then peter off, so concentrate on the week days and hunt smart and be willing to gomfurther than the weekend warriors and you just might come out about 20 pounds heavier...

No doubt that the first two weeks in PA can be frustrating, lots of hunters that don't care if you are working a bird.  The later in the season the better.
Don't gobble at me...

TauntoHawk

I hunt PA and NY each year. On private land late season can be very productive but I don't like it for public. If you don't know their pattern it's going to be tough after two weeks of pressure and hot temps the birds just don't gobble much.

What areas of those states do you plan on going to?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mike103

I find that NY is better the second week. First week is usually cold. I hunt public and private land but I'm a woods hunter not a farm hunter.

quavers59

If you are hunting public land in New York-- earlier might be better this year as I think with 3  or Easter's in March of this year that Gobbling will start later and be super in May. Luck to you.

turkeymanjim

I live in pa and also hunt in NY. In pa the first two weeks there is lots of pressure on the birds hunters everywhere. I have been more successful the last week of season, seem like the guys give up.
In NY, if you want to hear gobbling, the first week of the season is the best. But lots of hunting pressure. I think the 3rd week of NY season is the best. The hunting pressure is not as bad. Instead of a gobbler having 10 to 15 hens with him, the 3 week they might have only 2 or 3 with them. Seems like a lot less hens with the gobblers after the 2nd week. More nesting hens, means the gobblers r lonely.
But whenever u decide to go, good luck and be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

joeturkey

Last week in potter county  PA  the best

deerpoo22

I hunt private land NE PA. By far the first two weeks are the best. Much harder once everything greens up

deerhunt1988

Well, yall really are making my choice easy  :TooFunny: Folks all over the place.. My plans are north-central or northeast  Penn then right across the line in south-central/east NY. From what ive gathered, green up in northeast Penn can be more than a week behind southern Penn. Thats one reason im avoiding the opener.

Thanks for all the input, lot of factors to consider!

LI Outdoorsman

Usually the beginning of the season is rainy or cold but if you've scouted a kill is always possible..time of the month isn't as important as time of the week!. Cool rainy or foggy mornings dampen gobbling...but get one nice high pressure morning and they'll be hammering.  I guess it depends on if u want to  hear alot of gobbling or if u just want to kill a turkey..for some reason that the week of mother's day always seem a great time. Having killed birds from opening day till closing day I say go whenever you can go!
Good luck

TauntoHawk

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on March 16, 2018, 09:50:39 AM
Usually the beginning of the season is rainy or cold but if you've scouted a kill is always possible..time of the month isn't as important as time of the week!. Cool rainy or foggy mornings dampen gobbling...but get one nice high pressure morning and they'll be hammering.  I guess it depends on if u want to  hear alot of gobbling or if u just want to kill a turkey..for some reason that the week of mother's day always seem a great time. Having killed birds from opening day till closing day I say go whenever you can go!
Good luck
I think the issue with late season is he's coming from out of state without prior knowledge of the area or scouting. If you and I have our spots know where they roost know where they feed or where they go once pressured killing a late season bird that isn't gobbling much s much easier because we can fidn them without the gobbling. For just showing up blind I'd say you just want max targets and gobbling regardless of hunter because that will increase his opportunity of finding birds. I would rather get there earlier or hike further to deal with crowds on an out of state hunt.

Sure late season you can hunt afternoons in PA but you likely won't hear much afternoon gobbling on public by that time so unless you know where they are loafing in the hot afternoons or roosting in the evening it's going to be a lot of hiking and swatting bugs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>