turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening Weekend - Rain Gobblers

Started by Bottomland, March 14, 2018, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Opening weekend and the weather couldn't be forecasted worse.  Rain all weekend in Alabama where I hunt.

What is everyone strategy for hunting rain soaked gobblers?

KYHeadhunter02

If its raining and miserable I usually don't even hunt unless it were opening day or nearing the end. I guess I'm a fair weather hunter.. Lol. I would set up in a blind out of the rain and call every half hour-45 mins. They like being out in the fields alot on a rainy day. If you have any that's where I would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I have killed several birds on some pretty nasty days.  Never during the hard rain, but certainly before and right after.  Fields are #1 thing I look for on those days.  And they do not need to be huge, just where he knows he can strut and be seen.  Everything slows down on rainy days. They sit on the limb longer, they work their way to a call slower and they gobble less often.  But on those awesome nasty days when you do strike on gobbling, they are often very willing to play.  Only lightning keeps me at home. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BrowningGuy88

I'm going tomorrow and Saturday morning.

I plan to be where I killed the last one last year before daylight in the morning and if he is near by he will come strut there. Saturday morning I will probably setup on a road or field edge and try to be close enough to hammer one walking the roads.

chefrific

A good blind and a comfortable chair is key.  Pack in some snacks and drinks and prepare to sit and wait them out.
One of my biggest birds ever was killed in some of the nastiest weather you could imagine. 
Knowing where your birds are traveling is key on rainy days.  Setup on a road between fields or on a field edge.
If the weather breaks, break out some calls and be ready.
Good luck.

Rzrbac

I just hunt them the same way as a clear day. Not many fields where I hunt but logging roads see a little action. I don't mind getting wet so I just keep walking till I find one that wants to play. If you do strike one, there's a good chance he will come in quick or at least seem like they come in quick because you have to be close to hear one in the rain.