OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Self Filming Hunts

Started by SD_smith, March 14, 2018, 12:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

So I have kinda sorta bit myself in the a$$ and bought a Canon Vixia HF R80 and want to try to learn how to film my own hunts. I've reached this point because I am tired of hunting by myself and to be honest most of the turkeys where I hunt nowadays in Western South Dakota are not nearly as hard to kill as the ones I grew up hunting in South Florida. I do have a little experience filming hunts 10 years ago for my father's clients that would come down each spring, but camcorders, tripods, and everything else has changed a lot since then. So any advice on gear or setups would be very helpful for a relative newbie at filming turkey hunts.

fallhnt

You have a camera,now you need a tripod with a fluid head.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

It will depend on how well you want to set yourself up... If you are looking for basics or something of better quality.

We use several cameras, all are Canon, from there we do have a few different accessories.

I have been filming now for several years, like my setup and didn't get too deep into the pocket.

Do you have a list of equipment you are looking for?

MK M GOBL

SD_smith

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 14, 2018, 08:01:07 PM
It will depend on how well you want to set yourself up... If you are looking for basics or something of better quality.

We use several cameras, all are Canon, from there we do have a few different accessories.

I have been filming now for several years, like my setup and didn't get too deep into the pocket.

Do you have a list of equipment you are looking for?

MK M GOBL

I ended up buying the Canon R80 turkey package off of Campbell cameras because in the end it saved a little money on everything. Tripod is decent but definitely not high dollar and the mic is good. Really sucks that there is no way to have a LANC remote on these.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: SD_smith on March 14, 2018, 08:25:30 PM
I ended up buying the Canon R80 turkey package off of Campbell cameras because in the end it saved a little money on everything. Tripod is decent but definitely not high dollar and the mic is good. Really sucks that there is no way to have a LANC remote on these.

Yes that VariZoom is a big deal for me, when I sold the old camera I made sure the new would have the feature. But I may have an option for you, not the best but may work for you. We ended up using the cameras remote, zip tie it to the handle the camera should have a "eye" on the back of camera, not the best solution but it worked for us.

And a quality tripod make a huge difference in you footage, mine is a bit heavy but very steady! I have a Manfrotto Bogen Fluid Head Model.

I know you said you did some filming, so my already have plans for what you need. Was the camera package a "complete" setup?

MK M GOBL

SD_smith

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 14, 2018, 09:43:53 PM

Yes that VariZoom is a big deal for me, when I sol the old camera I made sure the new would have the feature. But I may have an option for you, not the best but may work for you. We ended up using the cameras remote, zip tie it to the handle the camera should have a "eye" on the back of camera, not the best solution but it worked for us.

And a quality tripod make a huge difference in you footage, mine is a bit heavy but very steady! I have a Manfrotto Bogen Fluid Head Model.

I know you said you did some filming, so my already have plans for what you need. Was the camera package a "complete" setup?

MK M GOBL
[/quote]

Hmmm I'm pretty sure there wasn't an option for a remote on these. If there is I'm having a very hard time finding it. The package came with a lot and it might be all that I need but I'm stuck with having to move my hand to the top of the camera to zoom and I'm hoping to minimize movement with this R80

MK M GOBL

Might look into if there is a Canon App for your phone that may let you control some basic functions, start/stop, rec & zoom. Don't know for sure on that.

MK M GOBL

appalachianassassin

if you are tired of hunting alone find a kid to mentor.