OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wal-Mart 870 super mag, camo

Started by High plains drifter, March 14, 2018, 12:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Anybody have an opinion on this 12 gauge gun?

mightyjoeyoung

Contrary to what some people say, it is the same gun you'll buy at ANY other sporting goods store or gun shop anywhere else in America.  Period. Those rumors were started frankly by mom n pop shops trying to scare folks into not buying from Wal-Mart.   An 870, is an 870, is an 870.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

UpperTully

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 14, 2018, 12:54:45 AM
Contrary to what some people say, it is the same gun you'll buy at ANY other sporting goods store or gun shop anywhere else in America.  Period. Those rumors were started frankly by mom n pop shops trying to scare folks into not buying from Wal-Mart.   An 870, is an 870, is an 870.

Your right an 870 from Mom and pops gun store is the same as the 870 at Walmart. However, the 870s of today is not the 870 of 15 years ago.

I recently had a Supermag, it had a god awful left cant in the barrel. I started noticing every new one I picked up were all like that. I ran a strait edge off the receiver and have almost a 1/2" cant to the left. The machine work where the magazine tube enters in the receiver must be off center.

Gobble!

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 14, 2018, 12:21:48 AM
Anybody have an opinion on this 12 gauge gun?

Solid gun and probably priced better than most places. I'm sure Walmart sells a pile of them.

tha bugman

I had one and I liked it.  made a trade for another gun with it, but never had anything but good results out of it.

Cut N Run

An 870, is an 870, is an 870.

Not necessarily true.  I have a 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster with a rounded & grooved forearm from the first year of production with a six digit serial number that my grandfather bought in the early 1950s.  It was made when Remington parts were machined, not stamped, like today.  It is still tight as a tick and a solid gun to shoot.  It doesn't have the ragged sloppy play in the bolt carrier, follower, and forearm of today's guns.  Plus, the quality of the steel is superior as well.

If you were talking about all newly made 870s being the same, then I definitely agree with you.  By comparing today's 870 with those 870s manufactured from the early 50s through the mid-1960s is an apples to oranges argument.  Remington started stamping parts for their guns in the late 1960s and the quality of craftsmanship has predictably fallen way off since.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

High plains drifter

Can you take a barel off a 3 inch 870, and put it on one of these 3 1/2 inch, super mag 870's? I like the gun well enough, just trying to get used to it.It doesn't seem as acurate as the old 870 I have.

jimmy v

It's a nice gun. My son uses one and says it has less kick then many semi-autos. Shoots well and hard to beat the price.

THattaway

I've got 2 walmart 12ga 870SM in realtree hardwoods and both were purchased in 2010. Both had a good amount of tool marks in the barrels. One had the screw in choke visibly off center (after purchased). I called Remington on that one and they sent me a new barrel with no request to send the old one back. I polished barrels for both guns with method stickied here in gun section. Both guns shoot beads and pattern extremely well now using IC or jellyhead chokes. Didn't try much else beyond those. Great turkey and duck gun IMO but I had to tweak them a little to my liking.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

snapper1982

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 14, 2018, 04:09:56 PM
Can you take a barel off a 3 inch 870, and put it on one of these 3 1/2 inch, super mag 870's? I like the gun well enough, just trying to get used to it.It doesn't seem as acurate as the old 870 I have.

Yes you can

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: UpperTully on March 14, 2018, 01:14:27 AM

Your right an 870 from Mom and pops gun store is the same as the 870 at Walmart. However, the 870s of today is not the 870 of 15 years ago.

I recently had a Supermag, it had a god awful left cant in the barrel. I started noticing every new one I picked up were all like that. I ran a strait edge off the receiver and have almost a 1/2" cant to the left. The machine work where the magazine tube enters in the receiver must be off center.

Isn't that the truth! ! Its pretty bad when they make parts specifically to replace oem parts that dknt enhance performance,  but exist just just replace the crappy parts that came on the gun.  Extractors come immediately to mind. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 14, 2018, 10:47:07 AM
   An 870, is an 870, is an 870.

Not necessarily true.  I have a 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster with a rounded & grooved forearm from the first year of production with a six digit serial number that my grandfather bought in the early 1950s.  It was made when Remington parts were machined, not stamped, like today.  It is still tight as a tick and a solid gun to shoot.  It doesn't have the ragged sloppy play in the bolt carrier, follower, and forearm of today's guns.  Plus, the quality of the steel is superior as well.

If you were talking about all newly made 870s being the same, then I definitely agree with you.  By comparing today's 870 with those 870s manufactured from the early 50s through the mid-1960s is an apples to oranges argument.  Remington started stamping parts for their guns in the late 1960s and the quality of craftsmanship has predictably fallen way off since.

Jim

C'mon now!  Do you thjnk I'd compare new 870s to anything made prior to 1990?!  Lol. Stamped parts would actually be an improvement over the drop cast crap they throw into firearms these days.  I had a wingmaster fixed mod 870.  Slickest and smoothest pump shotgun ever made imo.

High plains drifter

Thanks for the input.I think they are good guns, generally. I use a extra full choke, maybe I should go to full choke.I think you have to tweak these guns a little bit.

High plains drifter

Quote from: jimmy v on March 15, 2018, 08:29:01 AM
It's a nice gun. My son uses one and says it has less kick then many semi-autos. Shoots well and hard to beat the price.
very true.My hunting buddy gave it to me before he died of cancer, and it hasn't been fired much.I feel obligated to use it some, even though it isn't my favorite gun.They are very durable, always work well, great camo.Ive gotten a few gobblers with it, I don't like it that much for pheasant. I havnt missed a turkey with it yet, so that's encouraging.All in all, I think they are good guns.Not as well made as the older ones, but still very functional.

diyj98

Contrary to what some people say, it is the same gun you'll buy at ANY other sporting goods store or gun shop anywhere else in America.  Period. Those rumors were started frankly by mom n pop shops trying to scare folks into not buying from Wal-Mart.

100% accurate.  I've had several small time gun shop owners give me that line of crap.  One even had a "good buddy" who was a Walmart manager and tipped him off that the Walmart guns were cheaper because they were seconds!  Walmart does have some special runs made for them by various gun companies, with different stocks, barrel lengths, etc., but they aren't seconds by any means.