OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lights out pot calls

Started by square, March 13, 2018, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square

New member.  I haven't seen a lot of talk about Lights out calls.  What does everyone think of them?

Jbird22

I have a Mahogany Anodized aluminum I got from him several years ago and it's a good call. I've never tried his glass nor slate calls. I did have a Shedua Copper and sounded pretty good but was a bit temperamental.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dukejb

My first custom call was a Lights Out shedua aluminum. I really like it, and it's sitting in my vest next to my Lonnie Mabry slate ready for the season to start.

Chris O

I think he makes great calls and they are some of the prettiest pots there is

coyote1

Wendell makes very nice calls, hard to beat his anodized aluminum. His slates will kill birds all day long too. They are a little higher pitched than other calls but sometimes that's what the birds respond to. I have 9 of his pots in different surfaces.

square

I just received one of his spalted pecan anodized aluminum calls.  Going to try it out tomorrow.

chatterbox

Wendell is a top-notch call maker! :icon_thumright:

WaltHooksKing

I have the osage copper and his aluminum honey pot.  That copper pot is by far my favorite.

KYHeadhunter02

They kill turkeys like the rest of em out there. Its a personal preference like everything else. His calls used to be super popular, I want to say something happened that caused some controversy.

Am I badly mistaken? For the life of me I can't think of what happened? I'm not trying to stir things up necessarily.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coyote1

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on March 15, 2018, 01:23:44 AM
They kill turkeys like the rest of em out there. Its a personal preference like everything else. His calls used to be super popular, I want to say something happened that caused some controversy.

Am I badly mistaken? For the life of me I can't think of what happened? I'm not trying to stir things up necessarily.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm curious about this. It does seem like no one talks about lights out calls anymore. I can't understand why, Wendell seems like a nice guy and makes a great sounding/looking call.

outdoors

Since season is near , he's been listing a lot calls on ebay
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

square

That's interesting.  I bought a limited edition slate from Midwest Turkey Call supply last year and loved it. Beatiful call that sounds great, so I decided to try the aluminum on. It looks and sounds great too. Both reasonably priced, so I just wondered why there wasn't more chatter about them.

Footballer

I'm not aware of any controversy. His yellow heart aluminum was my first custom call. I think there's just been an increase in custom callmakers plus he doesn't post on here much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerpoo22

I have his shedua copper call. Love it called in a nice two year old with it last year. Copper definitely is little trickier as one wrong move and it lets out a terrible squeak.