OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 20 Youth

Started by bbizzell1, March 12, 2018, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbizzell1

I've got one in stock form. Does anyone have any suggestions to build a turkey gun from scratch?
Stock, Choke, Optics, Recommended shells ect.

Rem Man

I have several high end turkey guns and my 870 youth is my favorite!! I had mine drilled and tapped. Burris fastfire iii with a sure shot stock and a sumtoy 562.5 choke. I also dipped mine in new bottomland. This set up shoots awesome with tss and federal hw.

bbizzell1

Thanks for the input. Heard a lot about the sumtoy, thinking about leaning that direction.

eorlando

I just did the same build right before turkey season. 870 youth 21" barrel. I had mine drilled and tapped by William at sumtoy he put one of his low profile bases on there. I put a Burris fastfire 3 on it with a gobbler74 protector and a phoenix kicklite stock. I killed a bird with it opening day and my dad killed one a week later with it. I'm loving it shooting Federal heavyweight 7s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ccleroy

I've built close to 20 870 Compacts.....the newest one on the left is the one I'm running this year. They are hard to beat.

rsltid13

Sorry don't want to hijack your post but Im looking for similar recommendations.  So given that heavyweight 7 is nowhere to be found and 9s are not legal here in Utah what ammo/choke combo would you recommend.

eorlando

Quote from: ccleroy on March 13, 2018, 08:20:30 AM
I've built close to 20 870 Compacts.....the newest one on the left is the one I'm running this year. They are hard to beat.

Those are sweet!!!! I need to get mine dipped after season. Who did yours and what did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

ccleroy

Thanks, these were dipped by TNT Camo in SC!

LaLongbeard

I've been noticing every new camo dipped gun the patterns are not running the length of the gun from buttstock to end of barrel but are running vertically from bottom to top. Is this the only way they offer the pattern or did you ask for it to be that way?
Original Bottomland 870 for comparison
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobble!

This is what I just built for my 5 year old. He will be shooting TSS #10s. Probably sticking with the modified choke for him but still need to shoot the TSS shells and figure it out. 

KickLite Stock - https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/tactical-kicklite-stock-set-remington-870-12-gauge-black-phoenix-technologies-stock-804879180951.do

ShurShot Forend - https://www.ebay.com/itm/132516630168?ViewItem=&item=132516630168

Weaver Base - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NS1EAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this Burris Fast Fire knock off for $40 last month. With a 1 year warranty I thought why not and it seems solid so far.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ade-Optics-RD3-006B-Python-Green-Dot-Micro-Mini-Reflex-Sight-For-Handgun-red/322693374360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2650

Gobble!

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 13, 2018, 11:19:18 AM
I've been noticing every new camo dipped gun the patterns are not running the length of the gun from buttstock to end of barrel but are running vertically from bottom to top. Is this the only way they offer the pattern or did you ask for it to be that way?

I'm waiting to get mine back but I requested it be run vertically. I've seen both ways.

mrlongbeard

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 13, 2018, 11:19:18 AM
They will dip horizontally you need to specify which.

Fieldturkey

These are my two. The one on the left I've hunted for 3 season I think. Right one is new build this year. 18.5" barrels in both. I also have timney trigger sear and springs in both which is a huge upgrade in my opinion. They are hard hitters for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbizzell1

Quote from: Fieldturkey on March 13, 2018, 07:15:41 PM
These are my two. The one on the left I've hunted for 3 season I think. Right one is new build this year. 18.5" barrels in both. I also have timney trigger sear and springs in both which is a huge upgrade in my opinion. They are hard hitters for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good looking guns. I like that camo job on the right. You do it yourself?

Fieldturkey

I painted both myself. The right one was cerakoted OD green then then I painted over that.