OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

choke tube help.....I know.....

Started by bigredtn, March 12, 2018, 05:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredtn

I know everyone has asked but I want to get a choke tube for my boys tristar 20 ga that takes a mobil choke and he will be shooting w.longbeard xr 3"#5.  I hate to drop $60 in a choke and it shoot so tight he misses at a close range but still can shoot 40 yrds out and kill.   I have been tempting to get the longbeard xr choke from carlsons but its almost $60 and I am afraid it'll be too tight for him at closer range.   Thanks in advance

coyote1

Longbeards are tight up close out of any choke i have tried. Maybe try some winchester xx (used to be supremes). If the gun likes them they will be more forgiving up close and still produce a killing pattern at 40. Federal blue box (strut shocks) would be another good option.

Upfold99

Recommend contacting Mr. Lambert at sumtoy. He helped me with mine. Tell him your bullet and what pattern you want. He will set you right up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bigredtn

Well I ended up going with the longbeard xr choke and ammo.  20yards to 40 yards dead turkey very easily.  That's after I patterned it and my boy shot it from 20 to 30 and would have a dead dead bird every time.

chatterbox

Quote from: bigredtn on March 19, 2018, 03:15:39 PM
Well I ended up going with the longbeard xr choke and ammo.  20yards to 40 yards dead turkey very easily.  That's after I patterned it and my boy shot it from 20 to 30 and would have a dead dead bird every time.
Sounds like you're ready!
Hope he puts one in the dirt!!!!

bigredtn

Thanks chatterbox, I patterned the 20 gauge with 3", 835 with 3 1/2 as well as the 935 at 3 1/2.  In was surprised how well my boy took the 3".  The 835 has the dead ringer sights on it and I almost like it better than my red dot on the 935.