turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Supreme

Started by dresnor, March 12, 2018, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dresnor

I have heard that the Winchester Supreme turkey loads were great and a lot of people wish they were not discontinued and recommended to pick them up when you find them.

I was at a local gun shop last night and I found these. They had 4s,5s, and 6s, in a mix of 3'' and 3.5''. Some had red hulls and the rest had black.

Is this what everyone is talking about? Are they worth picking up?

Jeremy

strutstopper

Yes, those are the ones. I killed a pile of birds with those before hevi 7s came out and now TSS. If I remember right, black shells were 2 oz and red shells were 2 1/4 oz, in the 3 1/2s. Now that Winchester makes the longbeards, the Supremes aren't that special anymore.

renegade19

That's them.  Ive had good luck with them in the past. 

penna shooter

I had a few of those in 4-5.  Good old fashioned loads where all this $50.00 shells is the hub-hub.
Great find and good luck hunting.u
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

kyturkeyhunter4

Yes! These are worth picking up I've killed alot of birds with these shells. These are all I shot till the longbeards came out. But I still have several boxes of these I still use. There's nothing wrong with these shells they pattern great you will be happy with them. If your not I will buy them from you

bbcoach

If these are $18, as marked on the box, I'd pass.  Winchester Longbeards are a better bargain at $16-$20 a box.

stinkpickle

BTW, they don't appear to be discontinued.  Winchester just dropped the "Supreme" label.  Those "high velocity" loads (black hull) are still advertised on Winchester's site under their original model numbers (STH12335) with the "Double X" label.  The heavier payload (red hull) loads (XXT12L5) are also available with the "Double X" label.

tha bugman

I shot some 3.5 #5 and #6's this weekend (both red hulls) in my Mossberg 835 with a Jellyhead choke and they looked really good for a lead load!

Cut N Run

I killed quite a few birds with the 3" 1.75 oz. of copper plated #6s.  The 3" red hulls were 2 oz of shot if I remember right.

My best friend still hunts with the black hull #6 Supremes because he bought a couple of cases in the same lot number.

I switched to Hevi 6s or 7s five or 6 years ago, but still have a few boxes of Supremes in my safe.  They definitely get the job done, they're just not as supreme as what the Hevi does out of my gun.  I'm sure TSS out-performs Hevi, I just probably have enough Hevi to last me the rest of my turkey hunting career.  Plus, my gun, choke, ammo combination is a flat out killer.  No need to try to improve it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

fallhnt

3.00 rebate till May

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

howl

The 3.5" #6 version through the original Mossberg Ulti-Full is magic. I tried the new Double XX version. The batch I tried was not as good as the old Supreme version I had. I picked up a box of the old Supreme on clearance for $3 a few years back. They're sitting on a bookshelf.

I hope to never shoot a 12 gauge again, but if I do it'll be with those shells.

appalachianassassin

Winchester blacks are the only turkey loads I had ever used until longbeards came out. if longbeards were discontinued I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

oooohhh the memories i loved the old supremes killed a bunch of birds with my 935 what a great combo that was now i shoot the longbeard XR's but the supremes were a great shell
Feathers Fear Me

davisd9

You can keep those shoulder busting SOBs.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

Quote from: davisd9 on March 14, 2018, 12:23:14 PM
You can keep those shoulder busting SOBs.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Shot a bunch with the red hull #5 in 3 inch. They did kick in my 1300 that's for sure. Those Winchesters made quite a fireball out the end of that 1300 early one morning when I got under the hemlocks with them. First gobbler down that overcast dreary morning got it. Probably should've had a hot work permit with me lol.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot