OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long do mouth calls last?

Started by Magdump, March 10, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdump

New turkey hunter here so I apologize if this is a dumb question...

How long do mouth calls last?  Two sub questions to that:  1) How long do new/unopened mouth calls last; and 2) How long do mouth calls in use last?

Final question, if they do have a shelf life (ex. due to the latex rotting away), is there anything I can do to get them to last longer?

I ask because there is a call maker doing a promotion where if you buy 10 mouth calls they will give you a $100 pot call for free.  I am thinking about it but don't want the mouth calls to go bad/die before I get around to using them.  It may take me years to get around to opening and using all of them I think.

Thanks for the guidance folks!!!!

Chris T.

wvmntnhick

I've got some that are older than I'd like to admit that are just fine in their unopened state. Just keep them in a cool dry place. No direct sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 10, 2018, 07:01:28 PM
I've got some that are older than I'd like to admit that are just fine in their unopened state. Just keep them in a cool dry place. No direct sunlight.

X2

As far as opened / used calls - I'll get a full season, usually. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm not the most diligent about storage once the call is in use. I'll routinely wash / rinse with alcohol based mouthwash for germs.

I don't waste my time with toothpicks and spreaders trying to keep reeds separate every day.

falltoms

I've had some last 2 weeks and some last 2 years.

paboxcall

Cool dark place like the fridge for the unused calls would fine. Keep for a long, long time.

For calls in use, I rinse with a 50/50 solution of tap water and Listerine every day to keep them sanitary, let them air dry. I had to cut short a week long hunt several years ago after a severe sore throat mid week. Since then I hunt a mouth call for 3, 4 or maybe 5 days and toss it for a new one. New mouth calls are a lot are cheaper than my emergency room or primary care doc insurance copay.

I do mess with tooth picks to keep the reeds separate. Cleaner than trying to pull them apart with your fingers in the dark the next morning, and ensures the 50/50 solution gets deep between the reeds when soaking.

:z-twocents:

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

On Apr 24, 2012 I purchased 2 boxes of Primos Diamond Select 3-Pack Turkey Calls and they are still working just fine and are not in the least bit cracked. I have kept them in the refrigerator on the door that entire time except when either practicing with them or hunting with them. I always rinsed them off with distilled water after each use to remove any oils that may have gotten on them from my hands or something that I ate before I used them.

Please note that I was unable to hunt for about 3 of the years that I have had them so they stayed in the package unopened until 2015
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jbird22

Used calls - Soak in 50/50 non-alcohol mouthwash (Crest Pro-Health) about 2-3 times per season. Then rinse with cool water between the reeds, shake dry, throw em in the freezer side and let the remaining moisture freeze. That will act as a reed separator as the ice between the reeds will thaw instantly when you put them in your mouth. I can get a few seasons out of them like that.

New calls - anywhere out of UV light with reasonable temps will be fine. Had a well-known call maker tell me once that he believed you could leave em in a hot trunk and they'd be fine as long as they didn't see direct sunlight. I have no reason to doubt him but don't see myself trying it. Lol

Bowguy

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 10, 2018, 08:44:25 PM
Used calls - Soak in 50/50 non-alcohol mouthwash (Crest Pro-Health) about 2-3 times per season. Then rinse with cool water between the reeds, shake dry, throw em in the freezer side and let the remaining moisture freeze. That will act as a reed separator as the ice between the reeds will thaw instantly when you put them in your mouth. I can get a few seasons out of them like that.

New calls - anywhere out of UV light with reasonable temps will be fine. Had a well-known call maker tell me once that he believed you could leave em in a hot trunk and they'd be fine as long as they didn't see direct sunlight. I have no reason to doubt him but don't see myself trying it. Lol
This is the post I most agree with. Non alcohol mouth wash I believe is key

Rapscallion Vermilion

I can tell you that putting one away warm and wet in a closed container in a hot New Mexico garage and forgetting about it for a few months is not a good idea.   :P

Magdump

Lonehowl

southern_leo

What company is doing that promotion?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Lonehowl on March 10, 2018, 09:48:44 PM
This probly?? lol

Nasty mothcall by Lonehowl, on Flickr
Yeah, about like that.  But pictures don't do justice to the noxious olfactory assault  :o 

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bowguy on March 10, 2018, 09:18:31 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on March 10, 2018, 08:44:25 PM

This is the post I most agree with. Non alcohol mouth wash I believe is key

100% agree if you soak them

Magdump

Quote from: southern_leo on March 10, 2018, 10:32:06 PM
What company is doing that promotion?

Here is the promotion info, got an email about it a few days ago.

"Free Legend Glass! With the purchase of 10 regular mouth calls. Add 10 Mouth Calls to your cart, and then the legend glass to receive your discount!"

https://woodhavencustomcalls.com