turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What choke for 40% Tungsten heavy-shot?

Started by NC Rich, March 10, 2018, 04:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC Rich

Moderator: Please notify me and move my post if it belongs in another thread. Thank you.

I am recently retired and would like to try turkey hunting this spring. I want to use my CZ Canvasback O/U, chambered 3", 12 gauge with a 28" barrel and removable chokes.
I ordered Federal Premium 3rd Degree turkey loads, Federal model PTD157.
Someone told me that I cannot shoot steel through a full choke because it won't compress. I didn't realize the Federal 3rd Degree had 40% Tungsten #7 Heavy-shot and that Tungsten was harder than steel. The remaining 60% is lead and copper plated lead (#5, #6, 40/20).
To confuse me more, I see that many chokes that are specifically for turkey hunting are VERY tight, even tighter than full.
I don't want to damage myself or my shotgun.
1. Can/should I shoot this ammo though a full choke in my shotgun safely and effectively?
2. Should I use a different choke?
3. Do I need to invest in a "specialized turkey choke" (brand / type suggestions) that would also be compatible with my shotgun?

P.S. I understand that the Federal 3rd Degree shot-shells have a special "flight wad" and I'd like to avoid a choke that diminishes the effectiveness of that patented flight design if possible.

Thank you for any help you can offer,
NC Rich

Gobble!

Quote from: NC Rich on March 10, 2018, 04:22:26 PM
1. Can/should I shoot this ammo though a full choke in my shotgun safely and effectively?
2. Should I use a different choke?
3. Do I need to invest in a "specialized turkey choke" (brand / type suggestions) that would also be compatible with my shotgun?

1. Yes - Just need to understand the combos limits.
2. No/Yes - Your choke will be fine but it won't produce the patterns some after market chokes will.
3. No/Yes - Same as previous statement.

There are chokes out there, like Trulock, that are proven to pattern well with the flight control wad. A full choke may provide you with the pattern you're looking for. You will just need to shoot it to find out.

snapper1982

You can fire small tungsten and steel through full and tighter chokes. It is the big shot for waterfowl that you dont want to fire through a tight choke.

NC Rich

Thank you Gobble!, and snapper1982,
I feel confident that I can shoot with my factory 'full choke". I also understand that I should pattern the ammo I bought with various chokes.
I seem to be seeing that some hunters use Improved Cylinder or even Modified chokes so it looks like I will need to shoot quite a bit of ammo just to get the best pattern.
Does anyone want to tackle the question I have concerning possible special wad flight issues? From what I gather, if there is the slightest lip between the barrel and the choke, it may disturb the wad as it passes by and waste that designed attribute.
I might assume that the manufacturers chokes would probably provide a smoother transition but that is just my speculation, they also might be the cheapest way to get the choking accomplished.
Any thoughts? I know this is possibly intelligent 'opinion' request but I'd like to hear some opinions anyway.
Thanks.

snapper1982

I would not be to concerned about a possible small lip affecting patterns as many "turkey" chokes come with wad strippers and are being used in every make/model of gun with every load available. They are a series of ridges in the choke that slow the wad to strip it away from the shot colum faster.

BandedSpur

Don't get discouraged if you can't get acceptable patterns from the Third Degree shells. They are designed to open up quickly and be more forgiving at close range. I believe Federal has succeeded in meeting that design goal. But I will be surprised if you can get acceptable patterns at 40 yds. Had they used TSS 9s and put them on top, above the lead pellets, they would have a good all around shell. There are lots of good choices out there in turkey ammo, e.g. Winch Longbeards, HS 6s, 7s, or MBs, Federal, Nitro, or Apex TSS. But if I were looking for a good shell from 20-40 yds, I would look no further than standard Winch loads with 1.75, 1.875, or 2 oz of lead 6s or 5s. They cost much less than the Third Degrees and are proven performers.

mightyjoeyoung

I'm fairly certain,  federal, like every other manufacturer of "stacked loads" drops the smaller, denser shot on the bottom of the column because the lighter, larger diamer shot slows down faster, allowing the smaller shot to remain with the string so that all the pellets arrive on target at roughly the same time.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BandedSpur

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 12, 2018, 11:54:14 AM
I'm fairly certain,  federal, like every other manufacturer of "stacked loads" drops the smaller, denser shot on the bottom of the column because the lighter, larger diamer shot slows down faster, allowing the smaller shot to remain with the string so that all the pellets arrive on target at roughly the same time.

That would be important in a shell designed for wingshooting. For stationary targets I could care less if all the pellets arrive at the same time. In reality, those 18 gm/cc 7s are going to arrive on target sooner than either of the lead pellets. And in the process, they are going to blow through the lead pellets scattering them hither and yon. Again, that may have been Federal's design goal. But the loads would pattern more tightly with the 18 gm/cc pellets on top. (With MV of 1200 fps, 18 gm/cc 7s time to 40 yds =.128 sec: lead 5s = .137 sec; lead 6s = .140 sec - KPY Ballistics)

NC Rich

Thank you BandedSpur and mightyjoeyoung,

Since I'm a little on the frugal side and I'm a newbie to turkey hunting I guess I should have tried posting before spending a hundred bucks on the Federal 3rd Degree ammo.

That being said, I will go for the best pattern I can get from these shells and cross my fingers, if I even get a shot at a turkey, that I get a pellet in the kill zone.

Even if I get lucky, the bird will end up costing about $5.00 per lb. for the ammo alone.  :boon:

Thank goodness I like fresh air!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an