turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help Mossberg super bantam

Started by Poleaxe, March 10, 2018, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

Son has a hunt on the 24th. Was holding out for a box of #9 TSS for his big drawed hunt. Most recipes are all out dated. I need to know what works for you mossberg super bantam guys please. I tried Federal HW #7 and Hevi 13 reduced mag blends through the factory full choke and Blackout 575, and Carlsons longbeard xr 568. Most I got was 74 and I know even though he's just 8 that this part is up to me so I know I can find better. Can some give me their combos with the same gun please? Thanks

chatterbox

Quote from: Poleaxe on March 10, 2018, 03:28:12 PM
Son has a hunt on the 24th. Was holding out for a box of #9 TSS for his big drawed hunt. Most recipes are all out dated. I need to know what works for you mossberg super bantam guys please. I tried Federal HW #7 and Hevi 13 reduced mag blends through the factory full choke and Blackout 575, and Carlsons longbeard xr 568. Most I got was 74 and I know even though he's just 8 that this part is up to me so I know I can find better. Can some give me their combos with the same gun please? Thanks
I had great luck with the factory full and Federal Heviweights, so I can't help you there, but you could try a Truglo SSX and either straight Hevi-13 3-1.25-7's, or the Federal Heviweight 7's. I have had tremendous success with the SSX choke.
With the SSX, it's going to be pretty tight at shorter ranges, so you have to be cognizant of that with a young shooter.
Good luck!

Tom Dooley

I would deep clean the barrel and shoot at a large target to make sure you're gun is hitting where you're aiming.

MDSTRUTNRUT

You didn't say but figured your shot was at 40 yards.  My 2 different 20's  do best with Fed HW 3" 7's (haven't tried
TSS 9's yet) BUT even with different turkey chokes are NOT 40 yard guns(don't get near a 100 count).  30 yards are about what takes them up so unless you barter your next born child for someone holding a few TSS 9's then may have to call them in a little closer.  Now our Super Bantam 20 with the 3" Fed HW's does produce a pretty stiff kick especially for an 8 year old.

tnanh

I have a youth 870 that shoots heavy 13 6s better than any thing else. My Mossberg bantam shoots heavy 13 6s, 7s, or heavyweight 7s well with a Carlson .575. Don't know how much difference there is in the Carlsons and the blackout.

jayjay

Quote from: Tom Dooley on March 10, 2018, 10:26:01 PM
I would deep clean the barrel and shoot at a large target to make sure you're gun is hitting where you're aiming.

I would agree with Tom....at the very least try it again with a extra large target to try to verify where all that shot is going. With my mossy super bantam I am putting 140ish in the 10 inch circle at a lasered 40 yards.. That's with 3" federal heavyweight #7s and a primos tightwad choke (.570).

I would also check it at 20-30 yards and see if you get a nice even pattern. Also, IMO...for a younger child I thinks it wise not to strive for to tight of a pattern, just in case one runs right into your lap. Call him into that 30 yard range and let the pattern swallow him up.  :funnyturkey:

Keep us posted on how its working out for ya!

Jake

mightyjoeyoung

First question.  Has your shotgun barrel been cleaned? If it is not squeaky clean and all you're doing is firing dirty turkey loads through it, you will not get a good representation of what the gun can do. Once the barrel is squeaky clean, make sure it's tight to the receiver. Get the barrel retention nut as tight as you physically can by hand. Secondly, make sure your point of aim matches your point of impact. If not do you have sites or an optic mounted to the shotgun? The Carlson's long beard choke and the federal heavyweight 7 should be a great combination!  I'm getting 150-160 avg with the 1.5 ounce load.   Also if you're the one doing the patterning is he shooting the gun in practice? If he is have him shoot light loads only on the pattern board and I am positive even at 8 years old you can get away with a full power 3 inch shell when it comes down to the hunt.  The full power mag blends are only 1 1/4 ounce loads and should pattern well without scaring him.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

jjnfla

My superbantam with a,cheap undertaker choke gets around 140 @40 with the fed hvw7s.

strutter

I put that Longbeard XR choke on sons Mossberg Maverick and got 98/10" LB #5, 100/10 LB#6 , 111/10" HW 5,6,7 @ 30yds . Could improve barrel had shot 15 game loads adjusting red dot before I shot  and POI/pOA need slight tweaking still.