OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Youth Hunt Success in Bama  (Read 4003 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Youth Hunt Success in Bama
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
Guys, I don’t know if I’ll get a bird this year, and right now that would be alright with me. My oldest grandson and I opened youth season in style this morning. Been watching a strutter and his hens past couple of weeks with plans to get on him today. Now, I can’t speak for all of you but my best laid plans usually don’t turn out very well, especially with turkey hunting. I took this grandson to Nebraska last spring but he froze up when 2 jakes came within 10 feet of our blind. Hoping another year would help, we spent more time at the range getting him more confident shooting the Mossberg mini 20 gauge I recently bought him. We sighted in w/ some of the new Federal TSS #9s I picked up at the NWTF convention. I felt confident that he would be able to be effective to 40 yards with this combo. I put a blind on the edge of the field the birds frequent so that we could cover at least 3/4ths of the field. Slipping into the blind before daylight I put out a decoy set w/ a feeder, lookout and breeder hen and my DSD jake about 15 yards from blind. Heard distant gobbles both from front and behind blind at first light but nothing that sounded very close. I ran a couple of short yelp and cut sequences and thought I got at least one answering gobble in return. Around 6:10 I saw a hen pop up on the far end of the field, the another and another. Finally I saw a white head pop up behind them. Now, I’ve had mixed experiences with jake decoys on this property so I had hesitated to put one out on this hunt. As soon as the gobbler saw the decoys he went into strut. I knew then we might be in business so I made sure the red dot sight was on and placed the gun in the field pod. When I looked back at the flock I couldn’t see the gobbler, panic started to hit as I thought he might have shied away from the jake decoy. Suddenly I caught moment out of the corner of my eye, it was the tom coming fast in full strut. He was spitting and drumming as he came and as we hurried to position the gun to intercept he sped by heading right at the jake. When he got there he instantly attacked, knocking it down and pecking and flogging it. This gave us our chance to get everything set for the shot. Finally he jumped on the decoy and seemed to pose for a few seconds, I asked my grandson if he had his head in the circle and he said he did, I then told him to squeeze the trigger when he was ready. Boom, the gun went off and the tom flew backward with the impact and started flopping. After the initial shock at what had just happened we started hugging and yelling, until my grandson told me he couldn’t breath(guess I got carried away). We then spent several minutes reliving the hunt, looking at his his bird and taking the requisite pictures. On autopsy the shot was a bit low hitting the bird where body and neck joined but it was probably for the best considering the range, the pattern was the size of a baseball. Bird weighed 22 & 1/2 pounds, 9 & 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch and 1 & 1/4 inch spurs. One of my proudest moments as a hunter. So forgive me if I say my season is deemed a success already.

a

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:41:15 PM by harleytom »

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Youth Hunt Success in Bama
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
Not on your team, but have to congratulate your grandson and you!!  Great story and nice work.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
You give your grandson a very hardy congrats from me! I know how you feel about that hunt, as I was hunting with my grandson when he got his first bird and that hunt was one of the most satisfying hunts I have ever been on. Great Bird!

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Awesome story of the hunt. Thx for being a mentor. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
Awesome doesn’t come close to describing it. Special day for sure.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
That's awesome....congrats to you both!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Congratulations to him, great memory the two of you have shared.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
I am proud for both of you. It sounds like he was able to keep his cool with a gobbler at close range. That's something that a lot of experienced hunters have a problem with.

Congratulations to your grandson.

Cheers   ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »
That’s awesome huge congrats to all

Offline Laloom83

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »
Congratulations on an awesome hunt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »
Thanks guys for all the congrats. I am so happy he was able to have this experience. Not to give too many details, but my daughter is a single mom and while she does a great job with him, I worry knowing a boy needs positive male role models in his life. I just hope this will further spark the fire of wanting to participate in the outdoor lifestyle as I have found there is much less bad influence there than other places young men can be. I kept telling him about all the congrats from people on this board and how great an accomplishment it was to take such a nice bird at 9 years old. He has had a different vibe about him since yesterday and I hope my small part in it will help provide another positive anchor in his life. I know all of us as fathers, grandfather, uncles and family friends need to do our part to give these kids a chance to take part in the wonder of nature and this wonderful sport of hunting. I pray God will continue to give me the opportunity to be part of his life and that I can be a positive influence in some small way.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
What a great story and hunt. Huge congratulations to the young man on taking a mighty fine bird. Huge congratulations to you as well!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
congrats to you both, great hunt!